3D Printed Mask from Scratch...

3D Printed Mask from Scratch...

Tl;dr: 3D printed, PLA-based WIP full-head mask.
      It's already been a few weeks in progress, but I thought posting it here would be better for me to keep track, and for everyone else to critic and/or give suggestions.

>So this is my first time printing large-scale objects like a mask. I started with the popular TDA miku model, and conversion to a printable mesh version was done with SketchUp.
      >First printed was a 1/2 scale mock-up of the original low-poly model of the front-facing half. The polygons were clearly visible.
      Files
      • Untitled.png

(968.83 kB, downloaded 13 times, last: )
      >From Solana Beach with love<
      The mesh was further smoothed in 3dsmax and sliced into 5 piece to fit in the printing volume. Switched to black filament since I used up the remaining red filaments printing other stuff.
      I tried Loctite ultra liquid control(aka cyanoacrylate superglue) to glue the PLA parts together, but the result was some weak bonds between parts.
      Alternatively I used heat gun and soldering iron at ~220°C to "weld" the parts together. The welded seams are crappy, but it's a much stronger bond since they are essentially one piece of plastic right now.
      There is some problem with the printer's motor (check out the huge fault line at the top part), and one of the motor got stuck eventually. Luckily it's after all the parts finished printing.
      Attached is the entire thing, without any sanding or filler:
      Files
      • Untitled.jpg

(358.64 kB, downloaded 9 times, last: )
      Took me a while to get through some mess in real life... Anyway here's the update.
      To fill the gap and smooth out contour fault lines, I used some Elmer wood filler, one that's purple when wet and turns white when cured.
      After some days of sanding (from 180 all the way to 2000 grit) I sprayed a few layers of the sandable filler primer spray can from Rust-Oleum. There's a lot of dents, but they'll be flattened out later.
      Here's the picture I took when it's drying on my bike seat.
      Files
      • Untitled.jpg

(43.75 kB, downloaded 6 times, last: )