Anime North

Anime North

Anime North is held every year in mid May in Toronto, Canada...
      Next year some kigurumi local to me as well as myself are traveling via the Zombie Response Vehicle to the convention.
      The journey though long will be an adventure to a wonderful far land.
      This thread will be devoted to these travels as well as from other's travels and experiences to this world class anime convention!!
      Currently we are compiling a list of attendees who have voiced their approval and have committed to this, the largest gathering of kigurumi cosplayers in North America and what I want, the largest gathering outside of Japan!!

I do know for a fact that it will be the largest gathering of kigurumi cosplayers that are over six feet in height!! The current count is four, hoping for five ^__^
      Any other records?? Let make it happen!!
      Giantess kig meeting ,. but you know to be the biggest kig meet out of japan , need to beat MCM expo record not sure of the numbers but I am sure our Euro friends were well over 15 though never all in pic together so that too could be an aim ... the most kig together in a single picture taken out of japan
      I plan to go to AN as for the traveling goes...still debating...but got to make my mind up VERY soon and either book a plane ride or get a car that can travel the distance....I can give you my decision soon because i need to act on it if i want to fly to get a ticket soon...But I am deff going to this awesome con and cant wait to meet so many new people and kigus...
      "Think, you humans who are split into two worlds, unless you want the gulf between humans to expand into oblivion, you must think!"
      Picture of the largest group of kigs outside of Japan? Time to point to this picture on my website:

http://www.jovinamask.com/id297.html

Let's see, 16 in the picture, that is over 15. The photographer was also a kig performer but was not in costume at the time. The people in the picture span an age group from about 9 years old, second from right, to the late 50s (and I'm even older now!). Not all of them are regular performers, some were fans who were trying on a kig mask for the first time for this group shot, so some people say this picture is "fake". But I will hereby again make this claim that this was the largest group shot outside of Japan at the time and probably remains the largest group shot in North America to this day. Can Anime North break it? I plan to be in the group there to try!

People in this shot with name of those you may recognize:

(Friend of Stephanie Burke)
      Astrid Sunnybunny (Darkhorse Steele at the time)
      Shroompicker
      Shion
      (Female masker friend, now vanished)
      Cody
      Sean of Fantesca Design
      Jovina
      Miss Kiki
      Ayane
      Stephanie Burke
      Sean's wife and daughter (yes, they were also in kig at the Sakura Matsuri)
      Rubber Bekkie

Photographer: Marie-Josie Cayer
      Jovinamask!

cici wrote:

Anime North is held every year in
      Next year some kigurumi local to me as well as myself are traveling via the Zombie Response Vehicle to the convention.
      The journey though long will be an adventure to a wonderful far land.

Sis if your looking for a place to stay while heading East give me a call can let you guys stay here IF your travels come through Ohio on your way to Canada for AN ^^

and Jov that photo is amazing lots of kigs...hopefully with the number we're hearing of trying to go next year...you think we can TOP that number you guys set before? It's going to be a great gathering of new kigu, returning kigu something to look forward to..
      "Think, you humans who are split into two worlds, unless you want the gulf between humans to expand into oblivion, you must think!"

jovinamask wrote:

Picture of the largest group of kigs outside of Japan? Time to point to this picture on my website:

jovinamask.com/id297.html

Let's see, 16 in the picture, that is over 15. The photographer was also a kig performer but was not in costume at the time. The people in the picture span an age group from about 9 years old, second from right, to the late 50s (and I'm even older now!). Not all of them are regular performers, some were fans who were trying on a kig mask for the first time for this group shot, so some people say this picture is "fake". But I will hereby again make this claim that this was the largest group shot outside of Japan at the time and probably remains the largest group shot in North America to this day. Can Anime North break it? I plan to be in the group there to try!

Shroompicker
      Shion
      Cody
      Sean of Fantesca Design
      Jovina
      Miss Kiki
      Ayane
      Stephanie Burke
      Rubber Bekkie

Awesome... but how many of those kigs were actually yours, and "kigs for a day" types? ;)

Meerah wrote:

jovinamask wrote:

jovinamask.com/id297.html

Shroompicker
      Shion
      Cody
      Sean of Fantesca Design
      Jovina
      Miss Kiki
      Ayane
      Stephanie Burke
      Rubber Bekkie

Awesome... but how many of those kigs were actually yours, and "kigs for a day" types? ;)

and... how many in the image are still performing??
      I have no plans of going to Anime North, but now I will be all alone at Fanime. ;(

My plans may change tho I doubt it. Fanime is were I like to start pulling out the big guns of cosplay. I would be limited on what I'm able to bring with me on a plane trip to AN.

But don't count me out just yet....maybe MSTA should start looking for hotels. Suggestions please from anyone who been to AN.
      Cici: I do know for a fact that it will be
      the largest gathering of kigurumi cosplayers that are over six feet in
      height!! The current count is four, hoping for five ^__^

Well that has some benefits. Scale wise you will make the shorter members Who still exceed the Japanese standard height ( whatever that is ) doing Younger or older Kig characters look more proportional.

Second, you'll give the haters over in Kigurumi Critical Strike more cud to chew on, and the tall hopeful there, hope they can do the same.

But don't count me out just yet....maybe MSTA should start looking for hotels. Suggestions please from anyone who been to AN.

Rooms at AN disappear fast. I tried to book one at a secondary hotel I like back in March, and was only able to get Thursday night and Friday night. This is the biggest Anime con in Canada. Maybe somebody else has room?

Kiki
      ​Awesome... but how many of those kigs were actually yours, and "kigs for a day" types?

Well, I did point out that some of these people were trying kig masks for the first time.

Seven of them are active kigs currently. (All are wearing their own masks)
      Three of them MAY be active, but not within "the community" (Wearing their own masks)
      One is an active furry (my mask)
      One is an occasional female masker (my mask)
      Three are not kig performers but came to the event because they WANTED to see kigurumi in person (one of them is an artist and did some sketches while here). (Wearing my masks)
      One has vanished is his fate is unknown (my mask)
      Our photographer is currently active as well.

So ten people in their own masks and six in mine. Even counting just those ten, still more than most pictures. And it is not like we grabbed random people off the street, these people were there to participate in a kig event. So... are we going to break this number in an uncontested way?
      Jovinamask!
      Update on rooms~

Posted via facebook.com/groups/779826398747952/
      The canadian wasshoi

By Shakie

Just and update about the rooms:

I have FOUR Suites booked and
      confirmed - there are no more rooms available at the Marriott Residence
      Inn Toronto Airport currently.

Two of the suites are checkout on Tuesday morning
      Two of the suites are checkout on Wednesday morning - (one of those suites has been claimed by Cici et al)

I have not worked out final costs yet (estimate around $50.00 per night
      per person) but what I'm going to do is figure out the total and split
      it equally between spaces available.

NON REFUNDABLE deposits
      will be required on a first come first served basis.around mid-November -
      so you don't need to message me asking every few days...
      After niku convinced me by litterly just asking if i was going and me thinking over it for the past day im
      gonna go to anime north too all i need to work on is a place to stay now also, niku if u go ill rent a car if u drive
      One way in to Kig no way out :P

Post was edited 2 times, last by “misk” ().