Ability to talk.

Ability to talk.

Just an idea I came up with a few seconds before this post? Anyone remember those little key chain sound boards kids used to have (Like the ones that had like 5 different fart noises?). Well Just an idea but what if someone hacked one and replaced the defult sounds with voice clips of their character? It could finally give a kig a voice (Especially good for vocaloid characters as you could have them say anything). All you would need to do is carry the key chain and hit a button for certein stuff like; say someone asked "is it hard to see?" button one voice clip "No."
      Hmm...I would say it's a good idea. Still it's prefer if there's some sort of voice changing machine since with just a simple 'yes' and 'no' question might not do.

I'm not sure who but I remember of of the kigs is trying her best to voice as a female character when doing kig. Hope this works out fine.
      Animegao Kig characters being able to speak IS A BIG STEP. Breaking the illusion with established characters is a huge concern. It would be nearly impossible to splice together all the responses that a character might make, and have them loaded to your I pod or something.

Equally cumbersome would be having someone follow you with a radio mike, replying for you through a radio you held.

Of course, if you have created an original character, they can sound any way you want. For Female performers, this may not be a problem.

Miss Kiki
      There will be adherence to custom and form and the reason why kigs don't speak is because....... they don't....'>............

Most of the problems you will have come from people that know enough to hold an opinion, but there is a practical reason. As noted by Miss Kiki, a one word response can lead to a conversation, can lead to a dialogue. You want people to respond to your CHARACTER, and not to you, a potentially annoying person in a mask. The reason why mimes don't get punched in the face is because they don't speak and they get the benefit of a doubt for practicing their craft....;D...........
      Try knowing a few heteronorms. They'll broaden your horizons without a lot of drama. It's great, try it....'>......
      I'm going to go out on a limb here and give an opinion on all this voice conversation~
      That is a flat out "NO" agreeing with the lzzzard wholeheartedly~

There is way too much that can happen out there in public that I really don't think you want to happen~
      Remember we are dealing with the general public here~ To drill down a bit we are dealing with males in the age range of 14-35 that travel in packs.. Or with their trophy girlfriend. These are the people that WILL blow your cover...

Never never never speak, even in a synthesized voice as you are not the character when you speak... Rather you are yourself mimicking the character's thoughts and dialog..

My thoughts, have a lot more on this but..........

cici wrote:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and give an opinion on all this voice conversation~
      That is a flat out "NO" agreeing with the lzzzard wholeheartedly~

There is way too much that can happen out there in public that I really don't think you want to happen~
      Remember we are dealing with the general public here~ To drill down a bit we are dealing with males in the age range of 14-35 that travel in packs.. Or with their trophy girlfriend. These are the people that WILL blow your cover...

Never never never speak, even in a synthesized voice as you are not the character when you speak... Rather you are yourself mimicking the character's thoughts and dialog..

My thoughts, have a lot more on this but..........

I agree with everything stated here....wait I agreed with cici-sama?!?!?!11
      I personally think if something were to happen...never know the voice changer could accidentally malfunction right in the middle of a sentence and poof voice changed killing the illusion >W< dun want that to happen. I feel with the way we act in kig our emotions could be our way of talking with the help of our handler/helper. Dunno..i could be wrong just when studying a character i study there emotions to put through with kig to use as a helpful tool to be better with kigging and as the character.
      "Think, you humans who are split into two worlds, unless you want the gulf between humans to expand into oblivion, you must think!"
      CiCi-sama will definitely burn me for that, but...
      ichigo, after i saw (and heard) Greg`s "talking" mask, i`ve found a better way, which is....
      Show Spoiler

...make a voice-changer using smallest version of Proppeler MCU, of course, you need someone to make a code for it and someone to solder tiny board with this chip, microphone, speaker and a battery connection, but when al of this is done, you`ve got pretty decent voice for your character (if the CD quality satisfies you)
      Also, if the board is small enough, it could be inserted inside mask for convienience

i have no idea what to write here
      whew, thank you, CiCi-sama
      yesss, "just" talking would be creepy, even lagless with such a high quality that little chip can offer
      here i "would" recommend some lip movement, since PP chip has still some processing power left after making it a voice changer, it could be programmed to lipsync while changing voice (and drive servos, since it`s perfect for that job)
      maybe you have better options regarding that matter?
      whew, thank you, CiCi-sama
      yesss, "just" talking would be creepy, even lagless with such a high quality that little chip can offer
      here i "would" recommend some lip movement, since PP chip has still some processing power left after making it a voice changer, it could be programmed to lipsync while changing voice (and drive servos, since it`s perfect for that job)

So what your saying is that Kig girls should be like marionettes or ventriloquist dummies?

Kiki
      Sounds like a lot of work (and development expense) to make a kig talk to do it using the prop chip. You could probably get the same results using an off the shelf voice changer box like this one. And just rewire it to output to some high quality self-powered speakers.

spycatcheronline.co.uk/voice-changer-box.html

BTW you can find these all over eBay as well. But honestly...just train your voice. It'll sound way more natural.
      PP`s Spin system is easier to use than it looks like at first glance, it took me about 5 hours total to be between beginner and intermediate levels in Spin (and i don`t even have any spare PP`s, all done in soft, but works!)
      also, rewiring that little box might be a problem, since such ASIC can have limits on sound reproducing (cost reasons, PP is 8$, ASIC is more thanks to production) that cannot be overridden just with simple modification

Claire Rieva wrote:

I personally think if something were to happen...never know the voice changer could accidentally malfunction right in the middle of a sentence and poof voice changed killing the illusion >W< dun want that to happen. I feel with the way we act in kig our emotions could be our way of talking with the help of our handler/helper. Dunno..i could be wrong just when studying a character i study there emotions to put through with kig to use as a helpful tool to be better with kigging and as the character.

That's why I don't use mine. it works as an amplifyer well, but when you need to pitch your voice...

ichigo_kig wrote:

well for my button idea i just figured maybe just program in a clip of a signature phrase; like if you did a Naruto kig it would say "Believe it!"

It's easier to make then it seem/ May be my next electronics project will be it.

Meerah wrote:

Sounds like a lot of work (and development expense) to make a kig talk to do it using the prop chip. You could probably get the same results using an off the shelf voice changer box like this one. And just rewire it to output to some high quality self-powered speakers.

spycatcheronline.co.uk/voice-changer-box.html

BTW you can find these all over eBay as well. But honestly...just train your voice. It'll sound way more natural.

There are two other problems I figured when made my system. And them are outside if quality of circut or speakers.

First problem is that your own voice still hearable through the mask. May be people around won't undentify it, but it will still annoy. And the other problem is tones and emotions - literally how do you speak, how do you place your accents. And how clear your voice is.
      All my costumes, armor, masks and staff are made by myself. I'm also taking commissions. Worldwide.
      My site: dkag.net
      My Facebook: hikarinaka.DK
      Well this was something I was thinking about too
      someone could do like Switch from sket dance? haha
      or something like this:

Seens so much work =w=
      I agree that "not talking while masked" a good agreement, it's like an identity of the kigu kind, and is also cool xD
      Like said above you could just type what you wanna say, but for longer conversation it will be really boring, and also kigu is not something for longer conversations ...

Maybe sometimes we could be really forced to say something, and having a voice changer just for that don't compensate , and just this, like Meerah told, won't be enough for not sounding natural, you will need some training to sound better with a changer, so why don't train it to be good without one?

This is also something I wanted to know how to ...

Meerah wrote:

but if you wanted live conversation... I know how to do that too.

how? o3o
      ( ^w^)/ hey~

Post was edited 1 time, last by “Takami” ().

Does not talking goes for female performers(or yet to be perfomers,like me.) kigging as male characters? I could deepen my voice abit. I just ask,because if you want to participate in events such as Otakuthon's Cosplay RPG battle where you have to act as the characters you are dress as and say the "attacks" you have to act?