How many?

I have a question. How many Kigurumi PERFORMERS are there in North America?

By this, I mean people who actually go to conventions, or out in the general public, and perform.

No offense to Cloud's map project, but I know a few who are not on that, and I have no idea if the people who are, actually get out and show off. There's nothing wrong with being a web kigurumi girl, but I was curious as to how many of us are actually out there, spreading the cuteness to the general public?

I know that next year, Anime North will host a Kig gathering of it's own, and we may actually set a new record for number of Kigs in a North American location at one time. But, we may entertain international performers as well in that group.

What I'm trying to get a handle on, is how rare Kigurumi is in North America, and whether we have reached the point of filling the "duck boat" yet.

Miss Kiki

Miss Kiki wrote:

I have a question. How many Kigurumi PERFORMERS are there in North America?

By this, I mean people who actually go to conventions, or out in the general public, and perform.

No offense to Cloud's map project, but I know a few who are not on that, and I have no idea if the people who are, actually get out and show off. There's nothing wrong with being a web kigurumi girl, but I was curious as to how many of us are actually out there, spreading the cuteness to the general public?

I know that next year, Anime North will host a Kig gathering of it's own, and we may actually set a new record for number of Kigs in a North American location at one time. But, we may entertain international performers as well in that group.

What I'm trying to get a handle on, is how rare Kigurumi is in North America, and whether we have reached the point of filling the "duck boat" yet.

Miss Kiki

Is there a requirement to go out in public to conventions to be considered a "kig performer" Is a web presence not enough?

To even bring this up as a "possible" criteria to be considers a "real" kig performer alienates a huge percentage of kig owners who do perform very publicly on cam/online and have a significant presence on Social Media such as Facebook. Which IMHO is potentially quite harmful to trying to spread the art of Kig many (including yourself) have worked so hard to do.

One could turn the question around and ask if a Kig does not have a Social Media presence can they be considered a kig artist?
      I think Miss Kiki is only being pragmatic here........

A kigurumi performer that has a verifiable RL public personae can be counted as a 'one', and so can a performer with an extended record of appearances on social media. But there are people that may go on cam once or twice with something like a mask or a costume - and we'd never see nor hear from them again. It's reasonable to assume the number of real bodies that perform and claim to be performers at public venues and on closed and open videocam rooms are different from mere kigurumi 'sightings'.....'>..........
      Try knowing a few heteronorms. They'll broaden your horizons without a lot of drama. It's great, try it....'>......
      Let's face it, there are many levels of participation in the kigurumi hobby. At the top you have the people who perform a lot on camera, post pictures AND go to conventions as well. Further down, you have people who only post pics, people who only appear on web cam and people who only go to conventions. Even further, you have many fans who would love to kig but can't, either due to finances or family situations. And then you have the people who buy a mask and are never heard from again (Kana told me he made three Cloe the Bratz doll heads, ever seen one besides mine?). All are welcome in the community! Kiki's question here is just trying to determine how many kigs are out there who might show up at conventions, people who actually take kigurumi to the masses, that you can talk to, ask to pose and actually see close up and take pictures of. I hope it does not alienate anybody.
      Jovinamask!
      It's very interesting to see all the viewpoints being expressed in answering my question. It's nice to know where people are coming from.

Maybe it would help if you all knew where I was coming from when I wrote the question.

In my experience, Animegao Kigurumi, the Hobby art form, is not well known outside it's web presence. It takes a while to introduce it, to a receptive audience, such as the attendees at an anime convention, but that can be done. Thereby giving all Kig performers another place where they can feel safe going out because of the "Known Quantity" that has been established.

However in real life, if we are trying to educate the general public about Kigurumi, that is a different story. I was trying to get a handle on the number of Hobbyists there were in North America, who actually go out and interact with the public. Either at Anime Conventions, where the public can see them, or street performing in one form or another, or any other method of spreading the word.

Are there for example any Kigurumi Buskers? Or others who are doing Paying Gigs in Kig?

I do not imagine the number will be large. If I discount performers I know who no longer are active, I'd be surprised if there were three dozen public performers between Alaska and Mexico.

Kiki

Meerah wrote:

around 20 seen a MCM

The original question was about North America, not the northern hemisphere..... Out of the 25+ people who attended MCM recently, I think all were Europeans.

I would say, based on people who attend cons (and not the people who are online....) I would say around 20 or so regular attendees (more than 1 con a year). Without looking into it further (which I cant be asked to do at the moment) I cant really give a better idea.

You can always start a kig watch program, where every time you come across con pics you list all of the kigs who are in the pictures you can find, and also any more that you know were their, kind of like a exposure count, the more pics you see the higher the count. That will give you the best idea but will take time to do.