Is unmasking a good or is it something that could be very detrimental to the craft??

Is unmasking a good or is it something that could be very detrimental to the craft??

I'd like to talk about a subject some would consider "controversial":
      Backstage photos of unmasked kigurumi performers (even if they hide
      their faces).
      As a fan of kigurumi performances, I like to see some
      things that happen behind the scenes, before and after the show, and
      because of this I like to see this kind of photos.
      I know that some
      people may not like this (I remember commenting in an "unmasking" video,
      and then one kig said it was "utterly crap"), but I'd like to know,
      what do you all think about that? ^^

Nice to see you saw my post at the Facebook group. ^^
      As I said there too, when I made the post, I was thinking of those kigurumi performances that happen in stage shows and things like that, and sometimes we end up seeing some backstage photos of these shows. (I remember a gallery on the old version of Webshots that showed a lot of these photos - this gallery can only be seen via Wayback Machine since the website changed...)

MTOF/Rin Kigu
      Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - DeviantArt - WorldCosplay

Animegao Kigurumi Brasil
      Page - Group
      I think the professional show performers don't care because is their job so, nothing to hide, but as a hobbies some people do worry to show since it could even affect their actual work...
      But I think it's no problem keeping with close friends :v (Me and MTOF here have no choice ehehhe XD)
      ( ^w^)/ hey~

This is a real touchy topic. Good for thought too. These are what my opinions are, knowing,
      they are not that of others. Other Kigurumi performers may do as they wish because I’m not the authority
      of how other people should behave. I do have some concerns of what
      the consequences of what unmasking may have on kigurumi as a whole….

Kigurumi is by definition a masked cosplay. Any type of unmasking is a break in
      character. However, there are certain circumstances that warrant this
      to happen, those being, an emergency of any sort or a direct order by
      Law Enforcement or other official authority greater than the Kigurumi
      performer.

Now, there are other examples where revealing the person under the mask may occur, that being:
      At a performance where unmasking is part of the performance. (no this
      isn't a live cam or on a convention). If the performance is about the
      person in the mask rather than the character of the mask, then the mask
      is considered a prop. Also after some performances when the play has
      finished the performers come out to talk with the audience answer
      questions and have some “meet the actors” time. This is predominantly
      for the audience of a performance which has concluded and usually for
      educational reasons.

Another would be for a “closed” educational event such a convention seminar
      where the performers can speak directly with the audience. These are
      only examples and to be sure, none of these should permit photographs with the performer
      costumed but out of character. Whenever a Kigurumi performer does unmask they should be
      very conscientious that the act of unmasking it is not detrimental to the image
      of Kigurumi. But even with the above conditions in mind, I personally
      am not completely comfortable with the idea of a Kigurimi performer
      unmasking.

But this is only my own personal opinion. That being said, I do not unmask,
      this is my privilege, my craft, my art form. I put this restriction on
      myself not others because I feel that It does not promote a positive image of
      Kigurumi and for the most part unmasking for attention is very self serving.
      Disney’s philosophy of preserving the magic no matter what runs deep within me as well.
      While I think we can all agree that we'd rather not unmask during a performance unless we really, really have to (like we need to partake in a delicious jucebox), folks make an alarmingly big whoop about online identities: Not just theirs, cuz I can understand wanting to maintain one's own anonymity, but there's folks who seem to get legit offended when a kig performer "unmasks" online by posting pictures of their actual face. Meanwhile, here's me not giving a faint glimmer of a shit where photos of my homely mug wind up. Not that I'll smear images of my homely self over the internet tubes with reckless abandon, though; mostly for everyone else's sake, and also because my kig is where I stash my Spirit Orbs so I'm hesitant to take it off.
      A very interesting yet good thread...

I am one who would go the full length in being the character of choice in full kig, truly respecting the guidelines of never unmasking in a public crowd or it'd "ruin" the whole illusion especially to the children. I've told several people at work about kigurumi and they find it very cool about it and truly like the art work and they seem to not care about hearing me kigging. But its like you said cici that would go the full length unless it was all about the performer or someone needed to talk to you privately.

But unless it was for something else the person would have to wait until I am done performing or at a convention to get a chance to talk to me face to face, I will not remove my kig in a public crowd unless it was an emergency of some sort. I like where this topic is going looking forward to seeing what everyone else has to say.
      "Think, you humans who are split into two worlds, unless you want the gulf between humans to expand into oblivion, you must think!"
      Well, the initial idea of the topic was for me to know what people think about those backstage photos that we usually see from kigurumi stage shows, with the performers unmasked and things like that. In some part of the discussion on Facebook some people mixed it up and then the discussion was about the idea of unmasking in public (which is something I also wouldn't do unless it was strictly necessary). I didn't want to go to that extent since it's a very personal subject, but I also didn't want to bother myself trying to explain that, so I let the discussion grow this way.

Anyway, nice to see the thoughts of everyone on this subject. ^^
      MTOF/Rin Kigu
      Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - DeviantArt - WorldCosplay

Animegao Kigurumi Brasil
      Page - Group
      OK, so this response is late, but here's my 2 cents worth. It all depends on what you were taught.

I was trained by two people. One a Disney Mascot, and the other a follower of the Japanese School of Animegao. Of course remember that this was like 10 years ago, before the Anime craze hit America.

Both of them instilled in me the idea of professionalism, which I try to emulate when I perform or handle.

While a lot of pictures have been drawn of Kigurumi Characters with their masks off, and behind closed doors, or being surprised and embarrassed while unmasked, my experience has been different from that. Once you are behind a closed door or backstage, generally you are with fellow Hobby performers. Masks come off, hoods come down, and the process of refreshing oneself begins. It's rare to have picture taking under those circumstances, and I would hope, that any pics snapped, are with the permission of the performer. Professionals would understand that, and respect requests for limited distribution, or that any pictures taken be deleted.

Personally, once behind closed doors, I have no qualms about unmasking. I am usually with people who have already met me, or if there is a newcomer in the group, I promote a relaxed atmosphere of trust, where they hopefully feel at ease unmasking themselves.

This is the way I was trained. It may be vastly different from a troupe of professional performers, who may be only too willing to invite the press backstage for unmasked interviews.( Of course in the picture provided, all the actors were gender correct to their characters. ) For myself, being interviewed is just another performance, with my handler fielding the questions.

And like my Disney mentor would say. "You are on stage and performing from the moment the mask goes on backstage, and you step from a secured area. " "Don't break the magic".

Kiki
      Emergencies...... That's where a well trained Handler comes in handy. Someone to monitor your condition, insist you take breaks before you exhaust yourself, carry your medication. To intercede with authoreties when required, requesting the conversation be taken somewhere more private.

Or, as in the case of the MC at the Incredibles show at Disney, to get you off stage if you have a "Wardrobe malfunction".

cici wrote:

Now, there are other examples where revealing the person under the mask may occur, that being:
      At a performance where unmasking is part of the performance. (no this isn't a live cam or on a convention).

There is a Performer over in Europe called Arkadiy. At the end of each performance he rmoves the bobble head sized Chibi mask he wears,to reveal that the female Bellydancer who has been entertaining you, is actually a guy. You can find some of his performances on Youtube.

Another would be for a “closed” educational event such a convention seminar
      where the performers can speak directly with the audience. These are only examples and to be sure, none of these should permit photographs with the performer costumed but out of character. Whenever a Kigurumi performer does unmask they should be very conscientious that the act of unmasking it is not detrimental to the image of Kigurumi. But even with the above conditions in mind, I personally am not completely comfortable with the idea of a Kigurimi performer unmasking.

There has been some idle chat for years, about holding a Kigurumi panel at Anime North. Most ideas revolve around a show and tell, where a Kigurumi Character is created in front of the audience. Another would be a Q & A session with Kigurumi performers, dressed as gender appropriate characters, unmask to do what Miharu failed to accomplish the first time many years ago. I know the head of AN Programming is good with this sort of panel.

But this is only my own personal opinion. That being said, I do not unmask, this is my privilege, my craft, my art form. I put this restriction on myself not others because I feel that It does not promote a positive image of Kigurumi and for the most part unmasking for attention is very self serving.
      Disney’s philosophy of preserving the magic no matter what runs deep within me as well.

Actually Disney is responsible for more in the way of the Kigurumi than even they know. Corporate policy it is rumored, states that in order to prevent lawsuits for sexual harassment, as many of the street level female mascots, meeting the fans one to one, ( Minni Mouse, Daisy Duck, Jessica Rabbit, Bo Peep from Toy story. Elastigirl and Shrinking Violet from the Incredibles. ) are to be played by male performers. The girls get to play Donald, Mickey, Chip & Dale, for all I know maybe even Mr. Smee from Peter Pan. Of course on stage things may be different, as there's no chance of audience interaction. But you never know.

Personally, I'd consider any Meet and Greet with the fans, after a stage show, to be just another facet of performing in public. Backstage is for changing outfits and preparing for your next scene on stage. Not a place to meet with the press as it were.

Kiki

Post was edited 2 times, last by “Miss Kiki” ().

The presumption in the OP with this form of masking is that crafting and performance is complementary and integral. As long as participants share the same dollfie anime-based mindset; but wait until the post-modern, post-structuralist re-deconstructionist, everything-is-political phreakazoids get into this. That is, performance artists. Then the individual determines the rules, the circumstance determines the venue, and the reaction - whether positive or negative, determines the reason, the justification and the motivation. Picture a stream. The flow is the process, the rocks and obstructions part of the dialogue and the entire scene - the brook, the moss, the banks, the frogs, the encroaching vegetation - the narrative..........

It'll be FUN.....^^.............
      Keep this in mind, in Hell the manager's name is Karen....'>......
      I'm actually a little divided on this one. This opinion will most likely put me in the judged minority, but I feel that a difference opinion might show a new side of the matter at hand. I understand that when I am at conventions or outside doing a shoot, I will not remove my mask. I feel that is shattering the illusion that kigurumi strives to create. However, if I am having breathing difficulty, or am feeling extremely parched, I will take myself to a secure area away from the public eye to unmask and take a breather. On the flip side, I couldn't care less about what everyone looks like, because despite all the rumors, we are people. At the end of the day we all need to breathe, drink and take breaks. If I am friends with and comfortable with the people around me, like when I am kigging with people I trust at parties , I won't hesitate to show my face. I'm actually pretty cute. Maybe this opinion of unmasking is terribly unpopular with many of the veteran performers, but I think that all opinions matter here.

On a side note, I think this should continue to be a goat thread. Carry on.
      I want money, power, and glory
      Hey Chiharu-chan good reply ^^
      I freaking agree with you ^^
      I never hesitate to pop the lid if I'm having difficulties~ always making sure I'm in a corner or somewhere similar..
      I've done this numerous times, getting help from my handler or from other kigs..
      It's stupid to assume you are a bullet proof iron kigurumi, never removing the hatch ^__^

And I don't really care what others think, it isn't their body that needs water or to adjust something under the mask so vision can continue~
      It is all about common sense... We aren't going to blow the magic here...

Also this isn't a free ticket for non kigs to request we remove and show face... We are performers not people satisfying others fetish needs ^__^