The holes for the eyes in the kigurumi mask

The holes for the eyes in the kigurumi mask

When you make the kigurumi mask how big can the holes be for the eyes I am not a mask maker and if you make the eye hole in the mask I think it ruins the illusion of the mask of the character if the holes are too big I am not quite sure but I am guessing just have ideas for possible new anime kigurumi characters that haven't been made before

Post was edited 2 times, last by “tuxminnis” ().

I did my mask with half the eye cut out for vision. I kept it in the spots that were all black tho and I think that makes it really hard to tell. I've made fursuit eyes too and they usually (with toony) paint the eyes on a mesh of sorts. You can definitely tell its painted mesh so it looses some illusion for sure but no ones ever really minded.
      Sometimes I poorly manage a costume supply business catering to masks. Come judge us harshly! http://idlehandshobbyshop.com/

tuxminnis wrote:

When you make the kigurumi mask how big can the holes be for the eyes. I am not a mask maker and if you make the eye hole in the mask I think it ruins the illusion of the mask of the character if the holes are too big I am not quite sure but I am guessing just have ideas for possible new anime kigurumi characters that haven't been made before

The bigger the better as far as I'm concerned. You can never have too much vision.

I'm currently making a mask. From it's style, my eyes will be right behind the mask eyes. Therefore there's no way I will be able to leave the mask eyes intact and see through slits hidden in the eyelashes. I have drilled pilot holes which match my eye width, and when I get to painting the Anime eyes on, I will then know how big I can enlarge that opening to see through.

I've seen the fursuit masks which have Buckram cups for eyes. Yes, you can tell they are painted fabric, yes they give decent vision and the depth gives them the optical illusion that they follow you. Me, I put a piece of fabric mesh behind the holes I cut in my mask eyes. Colored black, it prevents eyes from showing through in flash photographs. If I'm really looking for a glossy eye, I can cut a sheet of clear plastic and place that over the entire eye area. But I digress.

Depending on the style of mask, people have sometimes managed to hide several vision slits in the nooks and crannies. While not perfect, this does give them a wider field of view. Although, some masks are so limited, the wearer has to constantly swing their head back and forth, to scan the area through the moving slit.

So, I guess it's all up to the wearer, as to what looks good on their mask. How much loss of vision they are willing to put up with for the mask to look good.

Jovina has figured out a way to curve clear acrylic sheets to make eyeballs. Or at least a curved piece of plastic which will cover a completely cut out anime eye and look like an eyeball. If you could back that with a piece of printed plastic like they use on bus windows, ( Printed advertising on one side, but pixelated so from inside you can see through the clear pinholes. ) Then in effect you would have excellent field of view.

In your case much depends on the character you wish to make and where your eyes will line up inside that mask.

Miss Kiki

Kmeister wrote:

I did my mask with half the eye cut out for vision. I kept it in the spots that were all black tho and I think that makes it really hard to tell. I've made fursuit eyes too and they usually (with toony) paint the eyes on a mesh of sorts. You can definitely tell its painted mesh so it looses some illusion for sure but no ones ever really minded.

Yes it's not kig, I know, shush, but my wolf also does the mesh thing for the eyes. It's really only noticeable when someone takes a picture closeup. I know another fursuiter friend that has a similar design that actually makes a point to try to close her eyes when pictures are taken.
      I was reading back at this thread...this is very interesting about the viewing ports....my Maki kigu has 4 two in the eyes two in the lower set of eye brows (marked in red if you havent noticed it by now XDDD) ....ill admit..it is interesting having more viewing ports BUT at the same time it is soooooooooo very VERY nice my eyes can look down while walking with my helpers to see the steps they are calling out to better judge it unlike i did with my Claire kig... its wonderful vision is better in Maki than before and enjoy having more viewing ports its wonderful to have more let you see your surroundings a lot better in kigu <3
      Files
      "Think, you humans who are split into two worlds, unless you want the gulf between humans to expand into oblivion, you must think!"

Renko wrote:

cici wrote:

I beg to differ~

kigurumionline.org/index.php/A…a779805e8ebc60c6b3ebb1738

​ports can be hidden and be large, I attempt to provide maximum viewing
      angles on all kigs I design~
      here is REI with 8 viewing ports, 4 per side ^^/

Very impressive, good hiding :D
      yes that is very impressive you are a great mask maker you probably still need a handler to guide you through obstacles and other things

tuxminnis wrote:

Renko wrote:

cici wrote:

I beg to differ~

kigurumionline.org/index.php/A…a779805e8ebc60c6b3ebb1738

ports can be hidden and be large, I attempt to provide maximum viewing
      angles on all kigs I design~
      here is REI with 8 viewing ports, 4 per side ^^/

Very impressive, good hiding :D
      yes that is very impressive you are a great mask maker you probably still need a handler to guide you through obstacles and other things

At Anime North last year I think while in Kig i could see as well as the handlers i was with... In fact Cici and I both avoided obstacles that the handlers missed...

there were also several times I wandered off on my own to "look around" with no issues walking into things or people...

BTW it might be a good idea to put a mask on first before telling people what it's like to be inside one...
      We do this allot....
      Wandering off without handlers~
      I really only need help when inside kokochan and then not really.....
      I do believe handlers are a good idea for newbs and folks that lack self confidence in their performing....
      In fact, I advise new comers to use them! I did when I first started out. However after becoming comfortable inside my skin I find handlers have a tendency to get in the way and actually inhibit my vision (walking directly in front of me) and motion (I can tell you how many times I've kicked a handler who gets in the way of my movements).
      That being said, handlers (or as I call them; slaves) are necessary for communication to fans (if they know what they are talking about :P ) and talking photos~

Ranting away am I :P