The Ultimate Guide to Padding for Kigurumi (at least for now)

cici wrote:

More content!!
      For those of you needing even more complex projects to create the ultimate pair of hips and bumms I have discovered yet another tutorial. This one is on DA

LegAffects

I have not tested this process yet. I think I might just to see if it works~

Direct link to .zip

Good Luck ^^//

I’ve always wondered if this technique could be ‘scaled down’ using thinner sheets of foam for a more natural look.

The end result in the videos is pretty impressive, but a just bit too OTT for most kigurumi characters :D
      She's on the Stuff. She's in the Gunfight. Keep Smiling :D

Neko-Nico wrote:

Techy Gypsy wrote:

I know this is a little strange to ask about the padding but any advice for those with very little to no workspace. When it comes to available workspace I am lucky to have anything more than about a 36 in by 52 in space.

All you need for pads is a breakfast table to lay the sheet of foam out on to cut the initial shape. After that you can use a pair of scissors and taper the foam on your lap if you want.

I recently made a trial set of hip pads and did virtually all the cutting, shaping and sanding on my lap while sitting in front of the TV without any problems – The only thing you have to watch is the amount of dust and fluff that gets produced :D
      She's on the Stuff. She's in the Gunfight. Keep Smiling :D

Dark Falz wrote:

I guess I will make an attempt at this seeing as its not too hard to do inside...still very cold outside.
      I need to buy a bunch of foam as part of a weapon prop anyway, might as well use some of it for pads since I don't really have any right now.

I better get the vacuum ready for all that mess. X/

A vacuum helps but also if you are grinding on the foam like I do, please use a dust mask. Foam up the nose is not pleasant. :P

Randle_76 wrote:

cici wrote:

More content!!
      For those of you needing even more complex projects to create the ultimate pair of hips and bumms I have discovered yet another tutorial. This one is on DA

LegAffects

I have not tested this process yet. I think I might just to see if it works~

Direct link to .zip

Good Luck ^^//

I’ve always wondered if this technique could be ‘scaled down’ using thinner sheets of foam for a more natural look.

The end result in the videos is pretty impressive, but a just bit too OTT for most kigurumi characters :D

We're talking about the furry community here, and as far as that goes there's three levels: 1 - Buxom, 2 - Rubenesque, 3 - BOOM SHAKA-LAKA-LAKA, BOOM SHAKA-LAKA.......XD.............
      Try knowing a few heteronorms. They'll broaden your horizons without a lot of drama. It's great, try it....'>......

cici wrote:

cici's pads to date~

kigurumionline.org/index.php/A…37620ea6ae4fe9f734865e7ca

kigurumionline.org/index.php/A…37620ea6ae4fe9f734865e7ca Hollowing out the back side of the pads is accomplished be first, drawing lines on the back. Then inserting them into so type of device to
      hould them belt outwardly so they can be cut with the electric knife.....

kigurumionline.org/index.php/A…37620ea6ae4fe9f734865e7ca It looks like this... Follow the lines drawn... Once you've carved enough material out smooth them with the belt sander....

While I am clear on how the hollowing works, I am still having some difficulty with hollowing the round pads for the BUTT. They don't look like anything to use lines for.

cici wrote:

First~ The List
      1. Butt pad pants with pads removed, for holding the mPad
      2. Compression tights, for holding the main leg pads.
      3. That funny looking swimsuit, helps keep the tights up plus is a liner for the corset
      4. An overbust waist training corset ( yes overbust ) torso is longer on these plus
        it gives you better curves and is way more comfy than underbust types.
      5. Bodysuit, covers the torso and arms, cut thumb holds into the sleeves and
        smooths the corset bumps
      6. Shapewear, romper ( small sized ) helps separate the sweetspot between your legs
        and smooths the corset bumps
      7. Shapewear, romper ( larger sized ) helps separate the sweetspot between your
        legs and smooths the corset bumps even more, I only do this step when I'm
        wearing swinwear
      8. Either a bra at this point or a boob suit one last thing you'll need.... pantsu

hi cici, can you show us also any photos of the things in the list?
      thank you :)

cici wrote:

This thread has been on my mind for the last year. It wasn't until Anime North that everything jelled into a concise body of work.
      I want to give credit to Fussen and Jesse for helping make this thread possible. Fussen's technique which was a revisions and
      improvements of my old techniques and for Jesse's photographs showing the process we do here at the studio.

First~ The List
      1. Butt pad pants with pads removed, for holding the mPad
      2. Compression tights, for holding the main leg pads.
      3. That funny looking swimsuit, helps keep the tights up plus is a liner for the corset
      4. An overbust waist training corset ( yes overbust ) torso is longer on these plus
        it gives you better curves and is way more comfy than underbust types.
      5. Bodysuit, covers the torso and arms, cut thumb holds into the sleeves and
        smooths the corset bumps
      6. Shapewear, romper ( small sized ) helps separate the sweetspot between your legs
        and smooths the corset bumps
      7. Shapewear, romper ( larger sized ) helps separate the sweetspot between your
        legs and smooths the corset bumps even more, I only do this step when I'm
        wearing swinwear
      8. Either a bra at this point or a boob suit one last thing you'll need.... pantsu ^^

This foundation/padding list is a lifesaver for any beginner like me. I even found a "funny looking swimsuit" to serve as a liner for the corset (highly recommended)! The compression tights really hold the pads in place and they actually feel pretty comfortable. The transformation of my figure is already incredible. Now I can hardly wait for my RTPS cleavage hadatai to arrive!
      I've noticed alot of people use foam pads, and there is a thing for silicone, it has weight and moves realistically, plus depending on what you get you could only use one layer of compression tights or even just spanx.
      The legs express i tried it gives you WAYYYYY too huge hips, like worst then Jessica Rabbit, honestly what ive seen in here and drag queens is better.

Krystal Kitsune wrote:

I've noticed alot of people use foam pads, and there is a thing for silicone, it has weight and moves realistically, plus depending on what you get you could only use one layer of compression tights or even just spanx.
      The legs express i tried it gives you WAYYYYY too huge hips, like worst then Jessica Rabbit, honestly what ive seen in here and drag queens is better.

Silicone pads work! However, they are expensive, thin, are not modifiable and are heavy.
      Foams pads are inexpensive, any thickness the maker chooses, extremely modifiable and are light.

Choose!
      Just to be clear; that "Funny looking swimsuit" is the one that looks like a "V', correct. Or is it a different one?

Also i live in the dessert so i'm going to get really hot in this.... any other solutions, @cici ?
      When times are dark and all hope seems lost, look to the stars for an answer. When they align, six comets shall bring timeless heroes, the Toa Mata, from the heavens to claim the Great Kanohi Masks of Power, find the Mask Maker, and awaken the Great Spirits of Yore. United the Masks hold the power to defeat The Dark Plague. United but not One...
      LOL

@cici So If possible could I get these pads commissioned? I'd be willing to pay once id save up Don't know what "regular Tools" to use on High Density Foam like the kind at joans...
      Need help on Starting the foundation

Also Still not sure what a "Funny Looking Swimsuit refers too still...
      When times are dark and all hope seems lost, look to the stars for an answer. When they align, six comets shall bring timeless heroes, the Toa Mata, from the heavens to claim the Great Kanohi Masks of Power, find the Mask Maker, and awaken the Great Spirits of Yore. United the Masks hold the power to defeat The Dark Plague. United but not One...

OrionStargazer wrote:

LOL

@cici So If possible could I get these pads commissioned? I'd be willing to pay once id save up Don't know what "regular Tools" to use on High Density Foam like the kind at joans...
      Need help on Starting the foundation

There might be some folks out there that would consider this type of commission Orion. My studio has had to suspend fabricating pads due to the high costs involved. I would start asking around to see if anyone would have interest.

Also Still not sure what a "Funny Looking Swimsuit refers too still...

It has been so long I've forgotten which suit we're talking about :P
      What would you suggest using for smoothing the pads if you don't have access to a sanding machine? I can get pretty much everything else, but the last time I saw a belt sander was in engineering class :D
      Do yourself a favor and get off this forsaken forum like I did. There's too much outdated information here and not enough people that actually know what they're doing. This is NOT the place to become a good kig.

If you're still looking for advice give this Discord a chance: discord.gg/RHw3YE
      It has over a hundred kigs and many active and experienced members that will gladly answer your questions in realtime.
      If I may draw upon other Hobbys as an inspiration.

There are several methods of making sure the surface of a foam sculpture is smooth. While I have always wondered about soaking the foam pad in water then freezing the pad into a block of foam ice, then taking a rasp from auto body work, or a cheese grater to smooth the ridges into shape, I realize that this could be a messy business.

Turning to the process of making a fursuit head, once the sculpture has been created, they cover the head with cling wrap film then cover the whole head with duct tape. Removing the film and duct tape, they cut the pieces to get a flat template for cutting out the fur pieces required. Once the fur is sewn back into 3d pieces, they cover and compress any ridges in the foam beneath.

I have used a similar technique for making breast forms. Only, instead of using fur fabric, I have substituted a Thin sheet of open cell foam. Cutting out foam patterns and gluing them into 3D shapes. Gluing these shapes over the foam pads you have carved, pretty well gives you a smooth outer surface.

You reduce the bulk of the pads by using compression. In the old days I'd wear up to 5 pairs of pantyhose over the pads, to smooth out the ridges and blend the pads seamlessly against my legs. Nowadays I guess you use compression bodywear.

Miss Kiki