The Ultimate Guide to Padding for Kigurumi (at least for now)

The Ultimate Guide to Padding for Kigurumi (at least for now)

This thread has been on my mind for the last year. It wasn't until Anime North that everything jelled into a concise body of work.
      I want to give credit to Fussen and Jesse for helping make this thread possible. Fussen's technique which was a revisions and
      improvements of my old techniques and for Jesse's photographs showing the process we do here at the studio.

First~ The List (
      Edited 190911) click on the item to link to an example
      1. Butt pad pants with pads removed, for holding the mPad The sPad is now available
      2. Shapewear I use prior to installing padding, this is the brand I use, lasts forever and wears like iron. I also insert butt pads before zipping it up.
      3. Compression tights, for holding the main leg pads.
      4. That funny looking swimsuit, helps keep the tights up plus is a liner for the corset
      5. An overbust waist training corset ( yes overbust ) torso is longer on these plus
        it gives you better curves and is way more comfy than underbust types.

6. Bodysuit, covers the torso and arms, cut thumb holds into the sleeves and
        smooths the corset bumps
      7. Either a bra at this point or a boob suit one last thing you'll need.... pantsu ^^

cici's pads to date~

Pads.jpg

Pads~

This is depending on your size, I use 7 pads.... well that's changed to 12 pads and it seems to shape better for me.
      • sPad (1)
      • Fanny pad (4)
      • Calf pad (2)
      • [i]Hip Pads (6)
      • Fanny Pad (2)

To construct these I use the following tools~
      • Razor knife (plenty of new blades)

• Electric knife (Black & Decker) if you can find one

• 12” band saw with a 10 tooth band, razor knife works (changing blades frequently)
      • Belt Sander (use 30 grit new belt) substitute a 4” body grinder with 60 grit disc [i]
        [/i]
      Depending on how much curve you want will determine the foam thickness. For demonstration purposes 2 inch medium density foam was used here.

1a.jpg

For shape and size there are many DYI's showing this on YouTube. Here we
      will focus on process.

1b.jpg

After the pads are roughed in , they are marked for shaping cuts.

2.jpg For roughing in the basic hip shape we used a yogurt cup ` for the highest point on the hi simply use a sharpy to trace the shape.

Once the circle is traced go ahead and remove the cup. Or leave it there, your choice~ :P

3.jpg Darken the line so you can see it during the shaping process. Don't worry about the marks showing after the pad is shaped.

4.jpg Next with a ruler mark off the first outline break at the outer edge of the pads, A dashed line is fine.

5.jpg All the way around the pads.........

6.jpg Fill in the lines after you've finished measuring with a HEAVY black line.

7.jpg On to the band saw or razor knife to make the first rough angel cut around the entire pad. Keep in mind we use power tools here at the
      studio. You can substitute other tools to do the job. The important thing is to get the cuts as smooth and consistent as you can. This makes final shaping of the pads so much easier.....

8.jpg Finish off the first cut and…....

Cut................

9.jpg Continue onto the second layer of cutting... The point is the cut as much unwanted material off the pad “before” final shaping......

10.jpg After the second cut is made go ahead and mark the taper from the highest point to the lowest point... Hip to knee.. For clarity draw arrows
      to show the slope of the taper.

11.jpg For those of you who have a bandsaw, we setup an angle stop to help with getting uniform cuts~
      12.jpg

13.jpg Ok so you got the two main slices complete, mark the hip to knee taper now... Draw arrows so you remember which way to cut the
      foam... Also arrows are cool to draw ^^//

14.jpg Electric knife time ^^; carefully slice away the excess foam to slowly reveal your new hips.... This may take a while, so relax and listen the
      blades do all the work

15.jpg First blade cut should look something like this. Repeat, keeping in mind your fingers like to be attached to your hand......

16.jpg more of the same plus more excess foam is missing....

17.jpg Almost looks like the same picture doesn't it?? Well it isn't,,, This is 17 :P

18.jpg Other side cut... I hope you're getting the idea here.... “Cut away foam living no blood on the studio floor”

19.jpg Side view to give another vantage point. Notice the naked arm :P Not mine, I am much cuter ^^ Taper cuts are almost complete.....

20.jpg At the studio “The Beast” is a 48” x 8” vertical belt sander. I use 30 grit belts that have only been used for grinding the
      souls of my fallen enemies
      Dammit Sofa, get outta here.... The belts are only used for foam projects. I do this for two reasons.. First, the belts are
      extremely sharp toothed and cut the foam very quicky... Secondly, belts used for other project contaminate the foam leaving discoloration...

21.jpg Hollowing out the back side of the pads is accomplished be first, drawing lines on the back. Then inserting them into so type of device to
      hould them belt outwardly so they can be cut with the electric knife.....

22.jpg It looks like this... Follow the lines drawn... Once you've carved enough material out smooth them with the belt sander....

Well that's really all there is to it... Not magic just allot of foam particles up your nose and in your eyes... You can if you like use a
      dust mask and eye protection to eliminate that from happening like Jesse does... Or you can do it like I do it and just sneeze for the
      next couple of days ^^

The important thing here is the process... It isn't magic... It’s just an afternoon of you life... But the cool thing is after that time you
      will have some pads that complete the whole look you're going for.

Good luck on this, best safe and kig on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

150809 edit Added
      Fajas Diseños D Prada Slimming Tummy Shapewear Short 12046 added and stuffing the fanny cavities with medium soft density butt pads (in addition)
      Files
      • 8.jpg

(30.74 kB, downloaded 166 times, last: )

cici wrote:

An overbust waist training corset ( yes overbust ) torso is longer on these plus
      it gives you better curves and is way more comfy than underbust types.

Thanks for this article - very informative. Also glad I read it before buying a couple of corsets to experiment with as I probably wouldn’t have considered getting an ‘overbust’ type.

I recently bought both a underbust 'cincher' and an 'overbust' just to see which suited me best and I have to agree that the overbust definitely seems to be the way to go. Not that the cincher isn’t kinda fun and gives me a ridiculous ‘hourglass’ figure :D (and that’s without any padding), but the you do get a bit of ‘overspill’ to put it bluntly due to the shorter length where as the overbust gives a much smoother sleeker shape and does seem more comfortable overall - I don't think mine actually laces as tight, but that's probably not a bad thing as being able to breath is still important ^^

Edit - Should also have mentioned that, as Cici pointed out to me, you really want a proper steel boned corset - the cheaper ones have plastic strips in them which are nowhere near as durable or give as much support so if you want long term use out of it it's well worth spending the extra money.
      She's on the Stuff. She's in the Gunfight. Keep Smiling :D

Post was edited 1 time, last by “Randle_76” ().

I have never heard of padding for kigurumi and it kind of looks uncomfortable when you have it in the zentai/bodysuit I would think that there's female zentai/bodysuit for kigurumi to make it more comfortable instead of pads unless the kigurumi mask makes your neck uncomfortable
      erm....... those 'female bodysuits' are fetish wear and not normally intended for cosplay. They will not be comfortable in the usual sense nor will they prove as effective in making the character as proper shape wear. Trust me on this......'>.........
      Try knowing a few heteronorms. They'll broaden your horizons without a lot of drama. It's great, try it....'>......

cici wrote:

Bodysuit, covers the torso and arms, cut thumb holds into the sleeves and
      smooths the corset bumps
      Shapewear, romper ( small sized ) helps separate the sweetspot between your legs
      and smooths the corset bumps
      Shapewear, romper ( larger sized ) helps separate the sweetspot between your
      legs and smooths the corset bumps even more, I only do this step when I'm
      wearing swinwear

cici can you share links for buying such bodysuits and shapewear? or recommnd some webpages?
      Thanks in advise!!!

Techy Gypsy wrote:

I know this is a little strange to ask about the padding but any advice for those with very little to no workspace. When it comes to available workspace I am lucky to have anything more than about a 36 in by 52 in space.

Do you have space to store stuff? No parent tossing stuff away for "cleaning"?
      I do my diy-work on my livingroom floor. newspapers go for cover. Also depending from material, dustmask might be good idea. Mostly I say you need place where yu can count you stuff stays, and can maybe dry up, without anyone hassling with them.

Techy Gypsy wrote:

I know this is a little strange to ask about the padding but any advice for those with very little to no workspace. When it comes to available workspace I am lucky to have anything more than about a 36 in by 52 in space.

All you need for pads is a breakfast table to lay the sheet of foam out on to cut the initial shape. After that you can use a pair of scissors and taper the foam on your lap if you want.

cici wrote:

More content!!
      For those of you needing even more complex projects to create the ultimate pair of hips and bumms I have discovered yet another tutorial. This one is on DA

LegAffects

I have not tested this process yet. I think I might just to see if it works~

Direct link to .zip

Good Luck ^^//

This is very interesting and a pattern for lost people that don't know how to start xD
      I'm not sure but by the illustration, it's looking much big? Just impression? e3e
      ( ^w^)/ hey~