Beat the heat! (Keeping cool while in kig)

Beat the heat! (Keeping cool while in kig)

With it being summer and the temperatures are high, it made me curious on how does everyone keep cool under these harsh conditions. Does anyone take precautions or not go outside at all?
      I am so shy and timid but once you get to know me, I am all rainbows and sunshine flying out of me!!
      I live in Austin, and it gets about 35-40 degrees (C) in the summer. Here is what I do.

1: Try not to kig outside in the main heat. Try morning before 10:00, or well after the sun goes down.
      2: Drink fluids. I don't mean quarts, I mean jugs. Alternate between water and sports drinks.
      3: Take breaks every 30-60 minutes, preferably where you can strip completely and cool off.
      4: Don't overdo it. Heat exhaustion can sneak up on a lot of people. If you feel thirsty, you are done for, pretty much.
      5: Bring a handler. Heat stroke is no joke.
      A very commun abd usefull technic stay a litle better masking while performing, exactly the long times like um 4 5 6 hours performing at convention/stream/stage/events however, is to put mini fan into mask so it gives litle air as a balance to the already warm air into mask. Also what is now more used tiny holes in mask forhead or backside (up) or sides of mask (most used) The mask model gives more air and also breathing conditions and it very good feeling if you for example dancing very long time. Many new mask models of makers do gives this extra option. However always be sure do not over do you self in hot weather, be prepaired and also be fitt somehow to kig, you better be fitt person too many conditions are important, to stay longer and better performance like on events/conventions/shows A healthy body is always more safe way to stay a good kigurumi performance and be able also in very hard weather conditions to make a good job. There many ways, to training better performances or health conditions, to stay longer and more relaxed masking. Just make sure you be fitt and feel fine for kig performing and be prepaired of weather and stuff and all will be ok.
      Happy halloween!
      I installed a mini fan in my mask connected to a usb portable phone charger that I could recharge. Honestly I will never make a mask without it. It's a small and weak fan but I tried it without the fan on and couldn't handle my mask for more than a few minutes. It's mostly the lnsed space and lack of oxygen that makes it hard. I've worn fursuit heads and they're more insulated but they almost always have a large mouth you can breathe out of
      edit: "unused" is supposed to be "inclosed" but this site freaks out I my iPhone and I can't change it.
      edit edit: "unused" is suppose to be Insed"

also! What does everyone else use to make sure they can breath in there mask? I've noticed a lot of kigus are closed mouth masks. Most of my air came from the corners of my masks mouth so a closed mouth seems scary to wear for any amount of time.
      Sometimes I poorly manage a costume supply business catering to masks. Come judge us harshly! http://idlehandshobbyshop.com/

Post was edited 1 time, last by “Kmeister” ().

Kmeister writes:

What does everyone else use to make sure they can breath in there mask? I've noticed a lot of kigus are closed mouth masks. Most of my air came from the corners of my masks mouth so a closed mouth seems scary to wear for any amount of time.

Kmeister:

I use several techniques. My Eddie mask, ( He likes to cosplay as Mario) actually has no mouth behind the mustache. However, his bulbous nose has nostrils. In behind those holes I have a small computer fan mounted.It does not draw in a lot of air, but it's a constant stream. It is much required as he doesn't have the next option.

If you look at my Avatar 'Grandmother', her mouth is closed. However, her eyes are essentially a strip of painted Buckram glued into the mask. Therefore all that space is effectively a screen to circulate air through. Any mask which has vision holes drilled in the eyes, will support air circulation, the bigger the hole the better.

Another technique I use, is carry a paper fan. Fanning the mask may look good as the use of a prop, but the air is forced in through the vision slits. It's like going outside and facing into the wind, except that's harder on the hair. Some of those battery operated mini fans will serve the same purpose.

Although this is a trick used more for hydration, it could be adapted for ventilation. With masks like Eddie and Grandmother, if I want to be able to take a drink while performing, I use a plastic hose. I use the stuff for pumping air into fish tanks. One end in my mouth, I can run the hose back through the hood, out the zipper of the Zentai, and feed it to my wrist under my costume. Sticking that end of the hose in a drink, I can sip like a straw.

I have never figured out how to use this like they do in hospitals with the hose under your nose, and running to an oxygen bottle. A slow trickle of O2 would certainly help. However, sucking on the hose, will bring a small quantity of fresh outside air into your mouth.

Having gaps around the edge of the mask is important. I never pad all the way around the chin, ears etc. on a mask. Having gaps where air can flow through helps exhaust the used air, (Which if too much builds up, will give you a headache.) Also those openings can draw in fresh air.

Those are my tricks of the trade, although when I can I like to have an open mouth with a hole, that I can actually stick a regular straw through.

Miss Kiki