To continue or not (my project thread)

It all depends on what will make you happy. I've seen people quite pleased with much worse. And I have a whole pile of failed masks that used to mock me.

Don't beat yourself up for not meeting your own standards on an early (first?) try. For me, the import thing was getting to the point where I could iterate on the design quickly. Build in failure as a part of the design process.

If all you want is a high quality kig mask, then yeah give up and pay someone else to make it, it will cost you a lot less. But if you want the experience of making something you can be proud of, something that is deeply personal about you, then try try again.

As far as salvaging that mask, the thing to work on are the eyes. I'd try to copy something like this:

As it shares your basic eye geometry. The iris fills up much more of the socket, and the thick lashes help hide the seams.
      You can also get cosplay wigs for like $10 to $20 bucks a pop (you need two), that would help smooth out the look of your mask.
      Hey you've probably got far further than a lot of people ever do with making a kigurumi mask which is something to be really proud of in itself - I very much doubt anybody is going to be able to turn out a professional quality mask at their first attempt.

As to is it worth salvaging I'd have said it was probably yes try if only for the practise - you only learn stuff by doing and it will probably give you valuable experience you can use in your next attempt.

The basic shape looks pretty good so I think gailblue is right changing and the eyes would improve things a lot as would adding proper hair.
      I also think it looks a bit odd at the minute as it doesn't have ears which makes the face look a bit too narrow.

Only my opinion so feel free to disregard :D
      She's on the Stuff. She's in the Gunfight. Keep Smiling :D

Randle_76 wrote:

Hey you've probably got far further than a lot of people ever do with making a kigurumi mask which is something to be really proud of in itself - I very much doubt anybody is going to be able to turn out a professional quality mask at their first attempt.

As to is it worth salvaging I'd have said it was probably yes try if only for the practise - you only learn stuff by doing and it will probably give you valuable experience you can use in your next attempt.

The basic shape looks pretty good so I think gailblue is right changing and the eyes would improve things a lot as would adding proper hair.
      I also think it looks a bit odd at the minute as it doesn't have ears which makes the face look a bit too narrow.

Only my opinion so feel free to disregard :D

Sorry for the double but I'm alot further ahead than I thought I'd ever get. I figured I'd never get past making the shell, yet I have an almost finished mask - albeit a more or less unusable one. It's just a shame I have to work around my parents, otherwise I'd probably have it finished right by now.
      Your signature here
      The biggest issue I've found is the eye spacing, as @gailblue noted. Unfortunately I can't fix that easily - tweaking the model file only makes it worse. Another interesting thing to note is the camera angle used to take this picture amplifies the effect - if i were to take it higher up, with a longer lens, it would probably look much better. I suck at selfies.
      Your signature here

Post was edited 1 time, last by “KineticIsEpic” ().

Here's a quick and dirty 'shop on how I want to improve it:

For some reason I stretched the original model vertically, thinking that would look better. Boy was I wrong. Only issue is how a wider model will fit on the printer - it was a pretty tight fit this time. Of course moving the eyes in, assuming I can without wrecking the model. Finally reducing the size of the nose, and printing the ears on the mask itself - I have no idea why I didn't do that in the first place.

Honestly, the paper hair actually seems to be the smaller issue - and with a little work, paper could be viable, if not as good as actual wig hair.
      Your signature here

Changed the eyes a bit, and took a picture at a better angle. Not perfect, but much better than before! Also, putting a piece of paper in the mouth helps too (although I didn't do it in this picture).

And before anyone says it, the reflection IS backwards on the left eye. Simple mistake, simple fix.

Looking at the eyes afterwards, I'm thinking that they're just a bit too big, and I wanna see more black around them. I'll get another version printed up some time.
      Your signature here

So I had (from awhile ago, but didn't bother really messing with it until now) this "bunch of hair" that I got. My first try was some time ago, and that try resulted in the bunch being cut in half, the bottom half turned into an absolute cluster fuck. What I did this time was take said cluster fuck, separated it into 8 small, not quite so horrid bunches, then glued those onto 3d print scraps to hold them together. There's 3 of those taped on each side, and the other 2 I plan to use to try to fill in the top (right now it's a mess of cardboard and tape). Unfortunately, I don't have enough to do the backside, so I'm still hunting for something there (paper again?). My biggest question, however, is how do I cut this hair to make it look decent? I'm no barber here, so someone please give some tips.
      Your signature here

victoria wrote:

You could make "eastern" hairdo by just clipping front-hairs over eyes. She? seems to have parting in middle, so you could also try paring hairs to sides. To get any somehow lasting effort you have to glue hairs into desired looks.

Hope this helps

Well it's supposed to be a guy, thats half the reason I'm asking for assistance. And glue - how did I not think of that myself! Glue is my answer to everything!
      Your signature here

KineticIsEpic wrote:

victoria wrote:

You could make "eastern" hairdo by just clipping front-hairs over eyes. She? seems to have parting in middle, so you could also try paring hairs to sides. To get any somehow lasting effort you have to glue hairs into desired looks.

Hope this helps

Well it's supposed to be a guy, thats half the reason I'm asking for assistance. And glue - how did I not think of that myself! Glue is my answer to everything! [

My bad! Male hairdos (to my understanding) are either all-a-round or super-spiky. as of now on that photo with bit straightening it goes well for schoolboy look
      I've progressed a little bit here. I've done something different for the hair - I just 3d printed it! It actually doesn't look too bad. All I have to do is get the back filled in (which I have a plan for) and he'll be somewhat wearable. I tried to take a picture of myself wearing it but my phone camera makes it look horrible (I'm not joking - the huge nose and massive gap between the eyes is from the phone. I tried it on my real self and it gives the same nasty effect):
      Your signature here