Care and feeding of your precious latex

Care and feeding of your precious latex

So it can to my attention today that there is no real information on this site (yet) about the cleaning and care of latex garments.

First there are two types of latex
      1. Natural latex and synthetic latex can be made using either the talalay process or the Dunlop process. 100% Tree sap from the rubber tree is used to produce natural latex rubber.
      2. Whereas man-made rubber polymer is blended with the natural tree sap in the production of Synthetic latex.
      We will be addressing the later on this thread since it is the primarily use material use in the manufacture of latex items for the general public.

IMG_0626 kig o.jpg

Maintaining your latex.

You just spent more money than you really wanted to to obtain this small package and want to make sure it lasts a long time. What to do though??
      Here's what I do. Before ever trying on the item/garment/equipment, I cleaning and treat the item. You will need a place to do this. I use a deep sink in my laundry room but a large sink or a plastic bucket in a bathtub will work just as well.
      • Fill the cleaning vessel with lukewarm water and add a small amount of gentle soap to the water. Place the item into the water and agitate, turning the item inside out and back a few times. You want the water/soap mixture to cleanse the entire item both inside and out.
      • Remove the item, drain the water and refill the vessel with lukewarm water once again. Doing the same as before, agitate the item turning it inside out and back again.
      • Now repeat rinsing process one more time and remove the item from the water.
      • Now for the fun part~ There are many products out there in the world you can use to treat latex to maintain its oils and give it that glorious shine everyone goes nuts over. As for myself vivishine is my go to product. It replaces the oils, helps restore color and makes the latex much more supple to the touch. VVS120-420x630.jpg Once again refill the vessel with lukewarm water. Use one cap full of product (vivishine), adding it to the warm liquid. Using your hand gently mix the product into the warm water solution. Now, place the item into the solution and agitate softly. Feel what happens to the latex almost instantaneously! It turns supple and start to shine almost like magic. It will also feel slick to the touch. Continue agitating and turning the item inside out a few times. After about 5 minutes, remove it from the solution and place it on a "PLASTIC" hanger. No wood, no wire hangers!!!! Latex is extremely porous and will stain very easily. Hang the item in a cool dark place to dark. After a few hours, check the item for dryness. If it is then turn it inside out, hang and wait until this side has dried.
      • Once dried on both sides lay it out on a clean dry surface to fold and store. I use the plastic bag used for shipping. Place the bagged item in a cool dark location for later use.
      Now, for those who have never cleaned or treated their items. It is never really too late to start. Just follow the steps above and enjoy your latex.
      I also like to clean my garments after every use. Natural body oils and sweat will start breaking down the latex shortening its lifespan. Also try not to get the latex hot by storing it in a hot location or in the sun. The material will start breaking down fast and in some cases, stick together and or get sunburn.

Sources:
      1. Vivishine vivishine.com/ Can be purchased off Amazon.com
      2. Viviclean vivishine.com/ for those needing specific producets for cleaning ( I just use mild shampoo )
      3. Latex Garments http://www.latexcatfish.com/ A place to start your collect, realizing there are many other places to purchase latex.

When ordering from Latexcatfish there are different options of latex finishes you can get: Dry, Silicone Outside, Silicone Inside and Outside, or Chlorination. If I use Vividress and clean it with Viviclean + Vivishine anyway, is there a reason to get something other than the "Dry" finish? And do you still need to apply silicone or powder?
      Do yourself a favor and get off this forsaken forum like I did. There's too much outdated information here and not enough people that actually know what they're doing. This is NOT the place to become a good kig.

If you're still looking for advice give this Discord a chance: discord.gg/RHw3YE
      It has over a hundred kigs and many active and experienced members that will gladly answer your questions in realtime.

Intriguing Awoo wrote:

When ordering from Latexcatfish there are different options of latex finishes you can get: Dry, Silicone Outside, Silicone Inside and Outside, or Chlorination. If I use Vividress and clean it with Viviclean + Vivishine anyway, is there a reason to get something other than the "Dry" finish? And do you still need to apply silicone or powder?

I've gotten all the versions of finishes LC has to offer (for testing and research ;) ) Chlorinated though easier to put on without any lube tends to be less stretchable and can easily tear ( makes it harder to repair) Silicon inside and out though prettier when it arrives looses it's shine after a few wearings. Dry finish is the default order for me. When I receive it I automatically treat it with vivishine. Stuff is magic and you can feel the latex relax and see it shine the material almost instantly.

My vote is the dry powdered inside option every time!!
      I have quite a bit of latex clothing but two in particular are from catfish. They are both worn in the elbows which has caused loss of color and chlorination effectivness. Neither of these suits are fashion oriented, they are for... utility purposes >.> so I'm not really concerned about this. Just thought I'd share this for anyone who doesn't know so they can look for and maybe prevent this from happening to them.