3d printable mask template

Spoiler: there are none.

You can do what I attempted to and rip an MMD model, but you'll still have to get it cleaned up.

If you go the MMD route, here's a run up on what you'll end up doing:

- Finding the source. You're looking for models that have the face shape you want, are licensed to allow modification, and that are suitable for having their heads turned into masks (you'll find the answer to this question sooner or later).

- Making the model usable - get ready to put some elbow grease into this one. You'll first need to delete everything but the face. Then, you have to "clean it up" or remove any nasties that are fine for an animation model but would wreak havoc for a printed object (holes, impossible geometry, just mess in general). You'll also probably need to bump the poly count too - if you were to skip this it would probably print horrible. Now you need to thicken it, because as is it's just an infinitely thin mesh.

- Get it ready. Unless your 3D printer is absolutely massive, you'll need to split that file up into smaller, print friendly parts. You'll also need to make them "manifold" - fix all the tiny holes that will make your slicer go apeshit.

- Print it. You can print it in ABS, which will be a bitch to print but easy to finish, or PLA, which will be the opposite. Pick your poison.

To fix up my model, I used Blender, and I cut it into pieces with Meshmixer. If you need some assistance with all this, I'll be happy to help out.
      Your signature here

Post was edited 3 times, last by “KineticIsEpic” ().

I would like to learn how to do this. I am really new to the whole 3d printing business.
      I have a couple of questions after reading what you wrote:
      1. What kind of models am I looking for? What exactly do you mean by models? Any character I can find pictures of? Do you happen to have a model I can start with?
      2. I have a make gear m2. I think its fairly big. Not sure if its big enough. Can I use more expensive materials such as Nylon or PC or PET? I don't know mind using ABS or PLA.
      3. What kind of program do you guys use to fix up the model? You mentioned several things in this such as Blender and Meshmixer. Are those different softwares?
      4. Is there a tutorial of some kind on how to do this online?
      5. If I printed them in pieces how would I assemble them together? With glue?
      6. what is a MMD model?

Thanks for your help. Really appreciate it.

unused123 wrote:

I would like to learn how to do this. I am really new to the whole 3d printing business.
      I have a couple of questions after reading what you wrote:
      1. What kind of models am I looking for? What exactly do you mean by models? Any character I can find pictures of? Do you happen to have a model I can start with?
      2. I have a make gear m2. I think its fairly big. Not sure if its big enough. Can I use more expensive materials such as Nylon or PC or PET? I don't know mind using ABS or PLA.
      3. What kind of program do you guys use to fix up the model? You mentioned several things in this such as Blender and Meshmixer. Are those different softwares?
      4. Is there a tutorial of some kind on how to do this online?
      5. If I printed them in pieces how would I assemble them together? With glue?
      6. what is a MMD model?

Thanks for your help. Really appreciate it.

1. Miku Miku Dance (MMD) is a free animation tool used traditionally to create animations for Vocaloid songs. You can Google it to learn more. It uses 3D anime character models, which is the part we're interested in.
      2. Your printer is plenty for this, but you'll still need to print it in a bunch of pieces. Stick to the basic filaments (PLA and ABS) for now, learn their ins and outs well. You can always experiment with exotics once you have the basics down. The basic filaments have the advantage of being cheap, which will be important when you start eating through the stuff dialing in your printer.
      3. I used the modeling program Blender to extract the head from the model and thicken it, and used Autodesk Meshmixer to cut it into smaller pieces, and to finish preparing it for printing. I used Cura as my slicer. All these programs are completely free. Blender has by far the greatest learning curve, but just search Google/youtube for tutorials for now to get a base on how to navigate the program.
      4. You can find general tutorials to use the software I mentioned above all over the place. Unfortunately there aren't any tutorials on this specific procedure - AFAIK I'm the first person to attempt to convert an MMD model to a kigurumi mask. You can always ask me for help, I'll be glad to answer (if I can...).
      5. Depends on your choice of filament. If you use PLA, your best bet will probably be to just melt the pieces together with a soldering iron and some extra filament. It's a little tricky but works. If you choose ABS, you can use acetone to melt the parts and stick them together.
      6. See 1.

If this is your first printer and you recently got it, it's probably a good idea to learn it first as Neko suggested. You'll have no luck making a large object like this if you can't even make smaller, more basic objects. Get your printer perfectly leveled at all corners of the bed for starters. You'll also want to "dial in" your ideal slicer settings, which takes some trial and error. If you're a reddit user, /r/3dprinting is a place you might be able to ask more general print-related questions. Good luck and happy printing!
      Your signature here
      Thanks so much for everyone's help. I will start learning and working on this project.

So to begin, I should find a model from MMD and then use the blender to extract the 3d model?
      Then use autodesk meshmixer to break it in to pieces.
      Then next with Cura to convert it in a printable format.
      Then finally print it out?

What do you guys use to glue the pieces together afterward?
      Will definitely have more questions

unused123 wrote:

Thanks so much for everyone's help. I will start learning and working on this project.

So to begin, I should find a model from MMD and then use the blender to extract the 3d model?
      Then use autodesk meshmixer to break it in to pieces.
      Then next with Cura to convert it in a printable format.
      Then finally print it out?

What do you guys use to glue the pieces together afterward?
      Will definitely have more questions

You got it. As I said earlier I just more or less soldered the pieces together. There's probably other ways of doing it too. Have you decided what character you wanna do? If so, I might be able to help find a suitable model.
      Your signature here
      Just wondering why you use meshmixer as opposed to netfab basic? (I've never tried meshmixer)

Getting the thickness right on the masks is a trick, I've had decent luck at about 2.5mm and 50% infill.

Soldering is a good way to do it, but you will need to sand the seem a lot so don't lay it across any detail. Only weld-on 3 acrylic cement works better, but both that and soldering will give you a joint that won't rip apart. Every other method of joining PLA I've tried (loctite gel, weld-on 16, epoxy, etc..) came apart without much trouble.

gailblue wrote:

Just wondering why you use meshmixer as opposed to netfab basic? (I've never tried meshmixer)

Getting the thickness right on the masks is a trick, I've had decent luck at about 2.5mm and 50% infill.

Soldering is a good way to do it, but you will need to sand the seem a lot so don't lay it across any detail. Only weld-on 3 acrylic cement works better, but both that and soldering will give you a joint that won't rip apart. Every other method of joining PLA I've tried (loctite gel, weld-on 16, epoxy, etc..) came apart without much trouble.

Netfabb will do the job too, but I've never used it. I made mine about 2mm thick with full infill, and it seemed to work fine. And sanding the seam: a lot of sanding is a major understatement. Prepare to bust a nut!
      Your signature here

unused123 wrote:

I haven't decided which character.
      Any general character will do for now. I just wanted to test out how 3d printing works with masks.
      Do you have any inmind?

IDK very many anime characters TBH, so I don't have any suggestions really. But what general kind of face are you looking for? something really cutesy, or more mature? Old/young? Big/smaller eyes? Male/female? If ya throw out some idea of what you're huntin for I'll probably pick something you'd like a bit more...
      Your signature here
      I haven't gotten around to this for awhile, but I've settled on a model I think might do the job. I still need to know:

- Open or closed mouth?
      - Are you OK with something that just covers the front half of your head (and filling in the back with whatever being hidden by the hair), or do you need more coverage?
      - Do you want Miku's eyelashes as part of the mask, as to have them painted or stuck on, or removed from the mask itself, to be printed along with the eyes?

I'd also like to give a final heads-up about the fact that we are both noobs. Things are bound to go less-than-perfect, and be prepared to potentially fail your first (or second, or third...) try. I wouldn't be shocked to find out the makers here are all laughing behind our backs... Anyways, let's hope this turns out!
      Your signature here