Clay sculpt for mask

Clay sculpt for mask

Hi all!

Starting a new mask for Yang from Rwby. Ordered 25 lbs. of clay, and since it arrived the week I got to starting on Saturday. I figured, hey! Since I've never worked with clay in any way outside of playdoh, I figured why don't I just jump right in and get dirty! What could go wrong? So a weekend of work later and I have the below to show for it. Not bad, but still soo much to do, since right now everything looks like a grey alien.
      • From the front, the right and left side are pretty asymmetrical, not sure if I should be taking material off the left side or adding to the right. Possibly a combination of both. Have to think on this.
      • Nose needs some work too, thought not as much as before. Took damn near 4 hours to get it under control with the cheeks and chin. That was off a good 2 cm the right
      • Eyes need work, I feel like I have them centered well, but I need to clean up the edges an make them even with each other much better.
      • Not 100% on the mouth, maybe too small?

Anyone else have any thoughts or comments? The clay's still workable, and should be the next week or so with it wrapped up.

-Rev

I'd say first of all, add to the left cheek. But most importantly, as you said it looks a lot like an alien. This is due to the eye shape - your eyes there look just like those of the typical alien drawing. Look at your character:

Notice how the innermost lines of the eyes are Almost parallel, getting farther away from each other as you go down. Also note how the outside lines go outward, making the eye widest at the top. Your eyes are literally upside-down, if you were to rotate them 180 degrees they would be perfect!
      Your signature here
      Random Thoughts

Looks good so far!
      One of the biggest mistakes folks make is detailing too fast. Don't worry about the eyes yet, they don't even have to be there right now.
      Get the overall shape first and it looks like you're getting there.

What kind of clay are you using?? Sulfur free I hope.
      Wather base? Oil base? Air dry?

Size does matter on a sculpt. If you're using water base or air dry clay figure a 5 to 10 % shrinkage rate.

I am very happy NOT to see ears yet. Those you can sculpt and mold separately. Attach them after the shell is layed up and cured.

Another thought; Try to sculpt a less shape nose bridge, unless that is the style you're after. Finishing sharp edges is a real PITA to get them straight and even.

Going good! Keep posting progress shots!!

cici wrote:

Random Thoughts

Looks good so far!
      One of the biggest mistakes folks make is detailing too fast. Don't worry about the eyes yet, they don't even have to be there right now.
      Get the overall shape first and it looks like you're getting there.

What kind of clay are you using?? Sulfur free I hope.
      Wather base? Oil base? Air dry?

Size does matter on a sculpt. If you're using water base or air dry clay figure a 5 to 10 % shrinkage rate.

I am very happy NOT to see ears yet. Those you can sculpt and mold separately. Attach them after the shell is layed up and cured.

Another thought; Try to sculpt a less shape nose bridge, unless that is the style you're after. Finishing sharp edges is a real PITA to get them straight and even.

I'm using WED clay, so I think it should be good? The manufacturers website indicates its Water based and non-toxic.

Completely forgot about shrinkage, so I took a couple of measurements, and it might be able to work. Still lots of shaping and trying to get it somewhat symmetrical. Ran out of clay though and had to order more. Going to try to keep the clay moist with a towel until it arrives. Not sure if it will work and stay wet enough, if not, I'll just start over. Note to self: 25 lbs is apparently not enough.
      To keep this sculpt from turning into greenware you'll need to wrap it (wet towel) with a layer of "sealed" plastic wrap covering. Garbage bags work great. In addition I found after a few days the clay firms up and is actually easier to move around and sculpt. For getting the surface smooth ( last step ) try food wrap applied to the surface. Once applied. gently rub the surface of the pattern.

Other random thought. Try blind sculpting for balancing out the pattern. By using both hands at the same time, move over the pattern. What happens will blow your mind. Your hands will pickup the differences faster than the eye. I used this trick on my Youko sculpt.

It can be done Revelin, just stay on it and don't let it sit for too long~

photo: 131112 Youko Pattern
      Thanks Cici.

So I've been working on balancing the whole sculpt. Still a long way off but slowly getting there I think. Kept working on it and couldn't figure out what was off. Each time I would correct something, I see some other part that was obvious way off. Felt like I was going over the same places again and again just trying to get close to evenness from each side.

At one point in the last week I figured out the eye area was slanted backwards and I needed to add a bit of clay to bring it closer to the vertical.

Still I feel like is way off in a bunch of places, going to keep plugging away at it until I get this looking better.

-Rev
      Small update-Added back in the nose bridge higher up between the eyes, just a bit less pronounced. Added some material to the forehead also, but I think I might need to add more to move it more forward. Worked on the mouth shiape a bit as well.

Keeping it wrapped has kept the surface pliable, but not mess like when the clay comes out of the bag. Damp Towel then garbage bag over has worked well in that regard.

Still more to do!
      -Rev
      OK!

Thanksgiving update here. So I carved out eyes.

But I decided they looked bad. So the next day I filled them back in. I think I'll cut them out of the shell and use craft from for the top of the eyes just to give some depth. I changed the nose a bit too, not flat like before. Also padded up the forehead a bit, it was sloping backwards from the eyes. Didn't look good, and didn't think that would help a wig either.

So looking at it today, I wasn't happy with the mouth either. And I can't seem to fix it, so I'll just cut it off, fill it in and add it with filler to either the final cast in FRP or plaster mother mold.

Also the the left side of the head is more bulbous at the level of the temples so I carved down some, but I'm not 100% set that I have enough off.

Current measurements for the head:
      • Height: 25.5 cm (~10 in)
      • Width: 24.4 cm (~9 5/8 in)
      • Face width: 18.5 cm (~7.25 in)
      • Front to back (@ eye level): 22.5 cm (~8 7/8 in)

I'm unsure about the jawline, I think the point of the chin should be further down, probably about a cm or so. I was targeting 27-28 cm, so I think I might have room for it. I also think Also I think the jawline too wide, especially on the right side. Maybe lengthening the jaw will even this out visually? Quick note: Cici was right, this stuff is definitely easier to work with the second day if the sculpt is properly covered.

I've started researching casting techniques to prepare for the next step, just to be prepared for the choices that are to come. Looks like there is a lot of possible material to go over, but the process itself seems straight forward. So many different products to consider, and it seems so many of them have their "best uses", it seems a little overwhelming.

Closer still, but just not there yet!
      -Rev

Post was edited 3 times, last by “Revelin” ().