Hello!

Hello everyone!

I wanted to take some time to greet you all and introduce myself. But
      first, I'm new to Kigurumi. In fact, I'm new to anime altogether. I'm
      getting ahead of myself, though.

I'm a professional actor and writer who has a particular interest in the
      theatrical style of commedia dell'arte, my character of choice being
      Dottore, hence my forum name. However, I enjoy any of the roles.
      Since it's a style of performance that relies heavily on mask work, a
      friend and fellow actor suggested I research Kigurumi, even calling
      it a modern version of commedia. He knew how to get my attention,
      that's for certain.

I hadn't been researching long before I stumbled onto this forum.

I'm much enjoying what I'm seeing. The masks and costuming are
      amazing. I would like to research more, and even become involved. I
      do have some questions, if that is okay. Please forgive me if I use
      incorrect terminology. I mean no offense, so I hope none is taken
      should I use an incorrect word or phrase. I would hate to offend
      anyone in a community I'm interested in joining

Are there male characters? Okay, like I said, I haven't been looking for
      long, but I have yet to see a male character. Could be I just haven't
      looked well or long enough.

Are all the characters based upon established characters from anime? Or can
      performers create their own? I haven't sat down and watched much
      anime as of yet, but I'm working on it. My friend suggested one
      called Madoka Magica (spelling?) and I have it queued up on
      Netflix...just need to watch it.

Are there any established characters who are butlers? Anime with a butler
      character? My idea for a character is much like commedia's Pedrolino,
      typically a silent servant, with a bit of the costume style of
      Dottore. A bumbling servant/butler type of character. I understand
      that speaking while in character is taboo, so I'm actually excited to
      try the concept using only movement and gesture. I'm not against a
      maid character, but since I'm tall and broad-shouldered, I would bet
      I'd look very awkward and wrong.

Do Kigurumi performers work solo, as I've seen so far, or are there
      groups that put together skits/shows? What I've seen thus far, it
      looks much like cosplaying. But I would rather ask than assume. My
      cosplaying friends don't seem to group up much, more like it's a
      happy coincidence when they see other cosplayers from the same game,
      show, cartoon, etc.

That's about it, for now. It's guaranteed that I will have more questions,
      but I may have TLDR'd as it is.

Thank you!
      I would bet I'd look very awkward and wrong.

We have had many worrying about that, but the actual results were far better.

Do Kigurumi performers work solo, as I've seen so far, or are there groups that put together skits/shows?

It is not uncommon for some to go at it solo, but you'll more likely to see animegao cosplayers travelling around in groups. Safety in numbers as the saying goes.

What you have to consider is that eyesight whilst wearing an animegao mask will limit your vision; by how much varies from one mask maker to another. You can find a list of known mask makers, as well as those that make bodysuits (hadatais), on this site's master list.
      Facebook Flickr Twitch Twitter
      Administrator of sister service The Animegao Circle

Dottore wrote:

Are there any established characters who are butlers? Anime with a butler
      character? My idea for a character is much like commedia's Pedrolino,
      typically a silent servant, with a bit of the costume style of
      Dottore. A bumbling servant/butler type of character. I understand
      that speaking while in character is taboo, so I'm actually excited to
      try the concept using only movement and gesture. I'm not against a
      maid character, but since I'm tall and broad-shouldered, I would bet
      I'd look very awkward and wrong.

There's the archetypal demon butler to Phantomhive House, Sebastian Michaelis, and I think your build doesn't have to make you an awkward example. Sebastian is debonair and adroit though he can goof on occasion.....;).........

Try knowing a few heteronorms. They'll broaden your horizons without a lot of drama. It's great, try it....'>......

Dottore wrote:

Are there male characters? Okay, like I said, I haven't been looking for
      long, but I have yet to see a male character. Could be I just haven't
      looked well or long enough.

Are all the characters based upon established characters from anime? Or can
      performers create their own? I haven't sat down and watched much
      anime as of yet, but I'm working on it. My friend suggested one
      called Madoka Magica (spelling?) and I have it queued up on
      Netflix...just need to watch it.

If you haven't seen a male kigu yet... now you have! We're few and far between but we're out there. You don't have to use an existing character either - there's always the original character route.
      Your signature here

"Dottore" wrote:

Are all the characters based upon established characters from anime? Or can performers create their own? I haven't sat down and watched much anime as of yet, but I'm working on it. My friend suggested one called Madoka Magica (spelling?) and I have it queued up on Netflix...just need to watch it.

Just thinking of your Pedrolino approach and a certain comic actor comes to mind. Now his character is a mime performer with his mouth taped, and for a kig to do that who doesn't talk anyway, would be wicked ironic funny. For your consideration:

Try knowing a few heteronorms. They'll broaden your horizons without a lot of drama. It's great, try it....'>......
      In response to the question about male characters the reason there is more female than male characters is that a lot of kigurumi cosplayers are male, or at least AMAB (assigned male at birth) and kigurumi allows them to cosplay characters they don't think they normally could.

To that point, a lot of kigus have wide shoulders too but the padding, costumes, and masks help offset that. As long as you get proportions mostly right you don't need to worry!!

Make kigs are rarer because often if you can do a male kig it would be easier to just do a regular cosplay, like people have said though there seems to be more and more male characters recently.

(This also isn't to say there isn't girls who do kigu, I know a few so don't let that put you off )
      Dottore:

you have gotten fine responses from a bunch of us so far, so let me address a couple of points.

In Japan, the professional Kigurumi troupes putting on live shows have always required villains. So yes there are male Kigurumi characters filling those roles.

On the hobbyist front, ( I don't use the term Amateur, as many of the unpaid performers are equally qualified as those who get paid. ) Kigurumi is both expensive, and performers wide spread. I find it amazing that normal cosplayers can decide to do an ensemble presentation and create three costumes from a specific show to wear together at a convention.

Take that to the realm of Kigurumi. You are extremely lucky to find another Kig performer in your City. let alone a group. Then the cost of having several Kigurumi masks made, to present even a trio of characters is prohibitive unless you have a mask maker to act as a seed point.

So, going back in Kigurumi history, to the point where Sailor Moon was the most popular show. You might have a kig performer here who did Sailor Moon, and another one who did Sailor Neptune. Outside of Japan, it was a logistical nightmare to get five performer, from say across the US, together at one convention so they could do the full five Sailor Scouts.

I myself worked with a friend many States away, and we did a Princess Princess presentation at a convention, but it was just the two of us. The work put in really did not justify the results.

So you see, unless you are working with an Acting Troupe who has the costume and prop skills and the sense of adventure to attempt a new acting style, It's hard to get a kigurumi ensemble together.
      Again on the subject of Male Kigurumi characters. You are not limited to Japanese inspiration.

I myself do Mario. That fat little plumber. He is most recognizable to a general audience. Sometimes a kig friend has done Princess Peach, using a purchased costume ( Halloween Grade or Better ) and just used a blonde wig on her mask. The couples presentations always go well.

There have been other performers who specialized in male characters such as Inuyasha, Link from Zelda, Sesshomaru, and others. But the truth of the matter, is I don't recall seeing any truly original male characters, that were not based at least partially, on some literary, theatrical, or screen character.

Many of the Anime show have butlers in them, especially if one or more of the main characters is a rich spoiled brat However, they are mostly secondary characters and don't move the story along unless they befriend the character their mistress/master is tormenting.

Many Kigurumi Performers go off-script as it were creating their own original characters. Some are made up whole cloth, some borrow from the world of a particular anime. Grandmother for example ( My avatar pictured ) is not specific except as a representation of an aged Shrine maiden. However, she could with a slight makeover be a character from Inuyasha. With a different costume, she could be an elderly servant in a Victorian household. Another adaptation could make her a clockwork mecha from a Steampunk novel.

So the lesson here, is there are no hard and fast rules. Kig performing as an established character does give you a character outline pre generated to draw from, but any Original character that is done well is equally acceptable.

Miss Kiki

Post was edited 2 times, last by “Miss Kiki” ().

Thank you, everyone, for your reponses. I have a lot of information to consider.

I am in the U.S., Michigan in fact, but have no idea what Crunchyroll is. I appreciate the offer, in any case.

The Dottore mask doesn't limit my vision; however, I do play a plague doctor for Ren faires and historical presentations. That mask does limit my vision, as well as darken it with the lenses. That may give me some head start on wearing a kigurumi mask.

Thank you for the video. I've never seen that act. I would bet large sums of money that Tape Face has some combination of mime and clown training. Even his costume looks like it's a modernized Hobo outfit.

The main reason I would like to perform as a butler or maid is simple; I tend to be cast as the villain. If there is such a role, I get it. I would like to create or perform as a more comedic, even silly, character. Playing opposite a more serious or spoiled brat character would be great fun. With the answers saying my size is not an insurmountable obstacle, the possibilities have opened up. Even moreso with the abilty to create an original character, or one loosely based on an established one.

I can understand the limitations making it difficult to form a troupe of kigurumi performers. Perhaps something to work towards in the future.

Mario? That would be awesome to see! I've thought about doing a cosplay of Mario many, many times, especially Raccoon Mario,

I'll have to give the kigurumi concept some serious thought, given the cost. I don't want to develop a character, purchase a mask, then decide I don't like the idea.

Again, thank you all for your responses, welcomes, and advice. It took some time for me to build up the courage to even post, as approaching a new community in which I know so little (but want to learn) is not something I often do.
      Welcome to kigdom ~
      For the things you asked, I think there is a lot of everything you mentioned.
      In Asia, there is a huge Lovelife kigu group who go to cons together and stuff
      Crunchyroll is like Netflix for anime.
      Theres someone on the kigudiscord named scath (I think he/she is active here too) who performs as a fairy or something on renfaires, maybe you'd be in nice company :D
      Come around the discord sometime if you want ~ https://discord.gg/RDT79wZ
      The beauty of kigu is also, that you can play whatever character you want, any sex you want ~
      Playing kigu maid with a maid uniform or cheongsam is super fun :3
      Howdy Dottore! It's always nice to see a new user pop up!

I'm not against a maid character, but since I'm tall and broad-shouldered I would bet I'd look very awkward and wrong

I'm six foot and built like a line backer. It's all about scaling and Body language. There's a lot of mime similarities.

​Are all the characters based upon established characters from anime? Or can performers create their own?

Rosie is just an avatar of mine. You can kig literally anything you can think of.

I hope you have fun in our fandom!
      <3 Rosie
      Thank you, Renko and Rosie!

Damn responsibilities getting in the way. Apologies for taking so long to respond.

Rosie1255 wrote:

I'm six foot and built like a line backer. It's all about scaling and Body language. There's a lot of mime similarities.

Hope I did the quote thing right...not very good with the computers and limited experience on forums.

This encourages me greatly, Rosie. Though I've never been cast opposite gender, the idea of creating a character that is sounds fun! I haven't had the time to watch any material, but have been looking for inspirational pictures. I have found two that really struck me. I don't know what it's like for others who have taken up kigurumi, but the moment I saw these two, I thought, "Yes! That!"

Okay, it seems I can only load one picture at a time, so I'll add another response for the other.
      Files
      • IMG_2159.JPG

(402.35 kB, downloaded 37 times, last: )

Dottore wrote:

Rosie1255 wrote:

This encourages me greatly, Rosie. Though I've never been cast opposite gender, the idea of creating a character that is sounds fun! I haven't had the time to watch any material, but have been looking for inspirational pictures. I have found two that really struck me. I don't know what it's like for others who have taken up kigurumi, but the moment I saw these two, I thought, "Yes! That!"

Okay, it seems I can only load one picture at a time, so I'll add another response for the other.

Rosie's short :P
      The only limits to animegao kigurumi is in your mind. It is a personal exercise in self expression. Rosie and I play off well both personally and performing @Dottore
      The trick is being true to yourself. If you hear detractors look again at those detracting. They themselves are self limiting their own self expression.

I encourage all to participate in this life changing hobby/lifestyle.

_DSC0073_.jpgIMG_0624-Recovered.jpg
      Rosie at 6'+ and I at 6'++
      Hi, so padding can dramatically change the look of your height as well. i'm 5'11" and my normal under kigus (Red dress) as apposed to borrowing my friends padding (purple dress)
      I feel in the second I look a lot shorter and the only difference is in the Purple Dress I am using dramatically thicker padding in the hips and breasts. so really kigu is awesome cause you can change your bodyshape and thus how tall you look on the shaping you do under the haditia also im on twitter a lot so if you have one ill talk your ear off cause my fascination with kigu is how someone can dramatically change their looks through it twitter.com/Rias_GremoryKig

Capture.JPG

Post was edited 3 times, last by “Rias Kitsune” ().

Hi Dottore, for reference i'm 6' tall maybe 6' 2" big max and nothing stop me to kig. Sorry I'm not really expressive in my writing but you're not alone in the community !!! :)

IMG_20171209_151304 - Copie.jpg

You can follow me on social media:

https://www.facebook.com/nanako.doll

twitter.com/nanako_doll1

Post was edited 1 time, last by “Nanako Doll” ().

You just saw me in Nanako's pic, so I thought I'd chime in as well.

Kigs can be all shapes and size (as you've been seeing from others' posts in this thread and elsewhere. As some of the others have said, it's all about proportion.

I know I can't look like a tiny 14-year-old anime girl. But I can still give myself a body shape that looks feminine enough, by adding some curves in the right places, and through posing.

For pictures and videos, height actually doesn't matter as much as you might think, if you build the body shape right. The larger head also helps to compensate for a lot of things -- it reduces the effect of wider male shoulders, and it just makes the body in general look smaller by comparison.

I'm probably the kig who consistently has the largest breasts. While part of it is that I just like it that way, a major reason is that I need the bigger breasts to get the right proportions. In my case, smaller breasts actually look more fake!

I've attached a pic to illustrate this better, but you can find many more pics of me on my FB page, here: facebook.com/shussankoshi . I bet if you looked through some of those pics, you might learn a few things about proportions and posing that you hadn't already considered.
      DSC_0180.jpg
      Oh, I forgot to add that the clothes you pick can make a huge difference. Like, for some reason, I'm at my sexiest while wearing one-piece swimsuits. Wear things that accentuate the parts of you that look good, and that hide the parts that are less successful.

Oh, and if you wear hip pads, pull them up! I see a lot of kigs who wear their hip pads too low, which makes their torso look too long. If you're already worried about being too tall, anything you can do to make yourself look less tall will help.