The best way to make eyes for a mask?

The best way to make eyes for a mask?

I'm 3D printing my mask out of PLA for a low budget kigurumi (Trying to keep overall cost for the whole thing under 100 USD) but I don't really know what material to make the eyes out of ?( . I want to be able to back it to hide and cover the eye holes with a thin mesh. I was thinking about using printer paper or card stock but I want to hear if there is a better material that could stand the test of time and changing climate conditions without having to replace the eyes as often.
      That's a great question Buff.

Simple eyes can be hand drawn, scanned at printed on vinyl or photo paper. Mesh is simple, go to a fabric store and find some transparent black material.
      Makers always use simple materials for eyes ( flat eyes , there are no exotic magical material. Try a transparent clear laminate over the photo paper to protect them.

It is up to the individual not to overthink the process.
      LOL

When I go to the fabric store, I often find rolls of plastic mesh. Neat thing is that they are white. Really neat thing is that they can be colored with black magic marker.

Assuming that I actually want to see through the mask's eyes, and not a vision slit, I just glue a square inside my masks over each eye socket hole.This acts as the sciera. I can then either paste a cutout made of photo paper which already has the Iris printed on it, onto each mesh eye, or hand draw the iris myself. Either way I color the pupil black.

kigurumionline.org/gallery/index.php/ImageExtended/1740/

In this case I colored everything by hand.

Best thing is, you can then see through the entire eye hole, except for areas where the paper Iris covers the mesh. If you really want a shiny eye, and don't care if the mesh is not breathable, cut a piece of clear plastic from a report binder and place that over the mesh before gluing everything into the mask.

Of course, if you don't plan on seeing through the eyes, print the whole Iris /pupil on photo paper and glue it onto the mask eye socket.

That's how I do it sometimes. Other times I just paint the eye socket.

Miss Kiki

Post was edited 2 times, last by “Miss Kiki” ().

what I did for bjds and what I'll probably do for my kig head is take polymer clay and make they eye shape out of that, and then use resin and paint for the iris/pupil. additionally, you could look up fursuit eyes. they use foam for the whites, and painted buckram for the rest, because it's see through