Questions from somebody who is interested

Hello all, I found this website after finding out about kigurumi. I came here to ask a few questions because this style of cosplay definitely interested me.
      Starting with the mask:
      1. Is it hard to see, hear, and breath? What does the inside of a mask look like and how much does it restrict your vision?
      2. What causes them to be so expensive? I see many of them going for around $800. Is it the matierials used or the time it takes to make them?
      3. Are masks a one size fits all because of the sheer size of them?

About the zentai (I think it's called):
      1. They look comfortable like a blanket, are they comfortable to wear?
      2. I saw the ultimate guide to padding, and is that really comfortable? It seems like adding multiple layers of fabric and foam on top of your normal body.
      3. Also referring to the guide to padding, would a suit maker take the measurement with or without the pads?
      4. I see a lot of people using a corset, but wouldn't that show through the suit?

Bonus questions:
      1. Why are people not to talk? Is it due to needing an illusion of the character and talking would ruin it? Would training for the character voice allow talking?
      2. How long does it take to suit up? A lot of effort seems like it is needed to put on all of the pads.

Thank you in advance, I'm just curious about this type of cosplay! :)
      Hello Spring Lucy. Thank you for your questions.

As a maker of masks, allow me to deal with some of those questions.

1. Imagine if you took a full enclosure motorcycle helmet and duct taped the visor. That's essentially what you have in a Kigurumi Mask. There is padding inside to make the fit comfortable, which can adjust a commercial mask for many head sizes, but it impairs your ability to hear. If there is not enough ventilation in the mask, it can get hot and stuffy. Depending on the style of mask and where the maker puts in the vision slits, it can be very difficult to see out of. In many cases like looking through a knothole with one eye. You generally have no peripheral vision, nor can you see your feet. If the mask muffles sound coming in, then it also muffles and distorts sound trying to get out. Even the girls whose voice would be appropriate do not talk.

2. The Kigurumi masks can be made from several materials. Some are quite costly.

Any custom mask which is not mass produced requires sculpting a master first, either through kilos of special clay, or hours tweaking the computer program for the 3D printer. Then there is making the shell and sanding it. That requires Time and materials.

Then there's the time and materials to paint the shell, the time and materials to add the padding, the cost and time to purchase, install and style the wigs.

Notice the repeated mention of 'time'. it's called sweat equity, that does not come cheap unless you are making a mask for yourself.

I am not surprised that a mass produced mask could cost $800. Then you have to factor in the shipping and handling.

Miss Kiki
      I got some answers for ya:

Masks
      1. Vision can range from passable to abysmal. For mask interiors, google is your friend. ;) To get a better idea on vision I tried to recreate what I see through one of my shells here:

However, I think images like this actually make it look worse than it really is. Once you get used to it it's not that bad (just be careful where you're walking lol). This also varies a looot between masks. Hearing is kinda the same story but it's effected a lot less than vision. Masks can get pretty hot inside and some (especially ones that fit tightly, have a closed mouth, and/or are full enclosure) are hard to breath through.
      2. Mostly economics of scale. There's just not enough people in the market for kigs to pump them out in mass and bring the costs down. Plus, most people want some level of customization to match a character and not look like a clone of everyone else. Making bespoke products always costs a lot in labor. Also, there's simply a lot of work to be done finishing, hair styling, etc.
      3. They actually aren't quite one size fits-all. Most makers will have a recommended head or body size on their listings. Some will ask for your head dimensions to fit padding just for you. It's also worth noting that just because you can stick your head in a mask doesn't mean it'll match your body proportionately.

Can't speak too much on hadatai (what the cool kids call it) because I don't have one but relaying from others:
      1. A lot of people think they're very comfortable, although this may be an acquired taste
      2. Wouldn't know, Probably varies a lot depending on what you choose to wear
      3. If your padding is anything significant, do your measurements with them included
      4. You generally have to avoid it showing through by wearing layers on top of it
      Bonus questions
      1. Most of us don't talk because we're dudes dressed as chicks and it just doesn't sound good. :D The mask also muffles things, either a little or a lot. There's nobody stopping you from talking in kig though, the kigu police won't come around and give you a ticket :thumbup:
      2. Once again this varies a lot, but ~10 minutes is probably a good guess
      Your signature here
      Padding doesn't restrict as much, because you usually pad space where you won't move, like hips.
      Suiting up time is really dependent on who you ask, I know people who take up to one hour.
      I can take as little as 5 minutes, depending on how much perfectionist I get with it :D
      If you are not ready or need more advice, try to find someone who might let you try, or ask around on the kigu discord ~

About talking in masks, there are few reasons. Usually mouth of kigurumi mask cannot be opened, so it is strange when kigurumi talk with closed mouth. It is difficult to talk and sound is not clear. Moreover, if a doller plays a real anime character, he (she) should copy his (her) real voice which is difficult. But at the same time some kigurumi talk anyway.