Is it possible to lighten the color of my zentai?

Is it possible to lighten the color of my zentai?

I recently purchased a skin toned zentai for Aoba. I tried to find the lightest color short of just getting white, &.... welps....it's too tan. The picture really doesn't do it justice, but, it's enough to really annoy my OCD.

I know not to bleach spandex/lycra type fabric, and have read that fabric paint is an option? But would that work in lightening it? I have some spare fabric from when I did alterations on it that I'm wanting to test stuff on, any ideas? Or is it a lost cause? lmao~~
      Files
      I do feel your pain on this one.
      As you already have mentioned, chemicals and lycra don't mix, so lightening through a chemical process will more than likely destroy the elasticity of the material.
      I do know that with age of any material it will naturally lighten with washing cycles. I've held your mask this past May noting the flesh tone is a shade or two off what MWF sells.
      You might try going to other way by purchasing a white hadatai a dying it.

Of course there may be others here in the forum that have suggestions I'm not aware of.
      I'm having the same fear with my zentai matching my Munimuni mask... I've searched high and low to find the lightest flesh colored hadatai but it's bound to be too dark anyways. ^^;

Like Cici suggested you could always purchase a white hadatai and custom dye it?
      However I do know a few ways to lighten a fabric without using bleach or any chemicals! I'm not too sure how they will work with zentai fabric though, so there's a bit of caution on that. ^^; I learned most of these back in my plushie making days-

Like Cici also said the more you wash a fabric, the more the color fades.
      There's using a baking soda mix, use four liters of water with one cup of baking soda, let the zentai soak in the water/baking soda for a bit and wash it out like you normally would.
      I've also heard about boiling clothes with lemons. The acid in the lemons has a tendency to lighten colors and brighten up whites. But I think boiling water is unsafe for zentai suits so I recommend boiling just the water with lemons, letting that cool off to the appropriate temperature, soak and wash like you would with he baking soda method I mentioned above c:

There's also sun-bleaching where you leave your fabrics out in bright sun. I've heard this can turn bright colors more muted and pastel but I've never tried this method myself (also kind of pointless if the weather is cloudy-)

Those are really the only methods I can think of?
      No idea how true it is but apparently white vinegar is good for brightening colours.

Definitely take this with a pinch of salt and keep in mind it would probably be worthwhile experimenting with or researching it first just to make sure it’s not going to damage or straight up bleach it.

DreamRemena wrote:

There's also sun-bleaching where you leave your fabrics out in bright sun. I've heard this can turn bright colors more muted and pastel but I've never tried this method myself (also kind of pointless if the weather is cloudy-)

This suggestion scares me @DreamRemena
      I would fear the UV rays would start to breakdown the lycra's elasticity.

peachie_pavus wrote:

I know not to bleach spandex/lycra type fabric, and have read that fabric paint is an option? But would that work in lightening it? I have some spare fabric from when I did alterations on it that I'm wanting to test stuff on, any ideas? Or is it a lost cause? lmao~~

Data on the Discord has had pretty much the same things. You should get in contact and get all the knowledge :D
      Signature includes invite link.
      Join the biggest kigurumi discord, guaranteed independent and full of nice people ~
      discordap​p.com/invite/wA​​zuA2​​p
      Do not boil your Hadatai. Heat will kill the lycra!

Repeated washing in regular laundry detergent will fade it slightly. Using a non-chlorine bleach (like Oxyclean) will help a little as well, but it is still a gamble to hope it will fade to the colour that will match your mask.

Colour matching is one of the big issues with Gurglelove. I had the same problem with the mask I purchased from them not matching any "standard" hadatai colours.

Neko-Nico wrote:

Colour matching is one of the big issues with Gurglelove. I had the same problem with the mask I purchased from them not matching any "standard" hadatai colours.

That's why Gurglelove got a color chart for all the masks regarding which hadatai to go for but she also makes matching ones herself on request.

The mask in this case is the porcelian/off-white color option and off course it will not match the skin-color lycra bodysuit Peachie got atm, those are too dark for most masks usually nor will they fade over time. I think the "kig pink" of MWF should match the color after few proper washes considering it is kinda on the thinner side.

Post was edited 10 times, last by “ichigomomomya” ().