Getting Started?

Cici here is a mask maker and will happily build you one. She loves to spread the kigu head parasite infection.
      As far as bodysuits go, Kaga Ki is a good maker to go with. She is also a mask maker.
      kagaki.com/
      Depending on your gender, you'll also want to acquire some body shapers. You can craft those yourself out of foam, or balloons for breasts. Commercial shapers like padded panties and breast forms are also available from practically any site that caters to cross dressers.
      Melody, currently you are in an area where you could reach a convention where I and others preform. Some of us are willing to lend costumes and masks to those who wish to try out Kigurumi before they jump in.

From past experience, the biggest problem is having a zentai which fits the performer. ( See the pics in the "Rosalie" experience folder. ) That's what I'd look into first.

It does not have to be a great quality garment. I have gone to costume stores and found what they call flesh colored Morp suits, and other brands, which will do the job splendidly. Stores are now starting to get in Halloween orders, so you could look there. Just make sure you get a suit with fingers, not mittens.

Once you have a suit, you can experiment with padding and cinching to get the figure that you are looking for, and have a 'skin' to pull over everything to see how it looks.

Miss Kiki

MelodyPanda wrote:

I can't say that I am currently in any position financially to start working towards trying Kigurumi cosplay but...

When that time does come, what would I need to look into acquiring and where would I find it?

What a fantastic place to be in~
      Planning your first kigurumi is always the most exciting!!!
      I can relate to your excitement, your fears, your hopes and your questions Melody ^__^

From a financial aspect , if you go full boat you are looking at investing $1800 to $3000~
      You can get into kigurumi for much less thou...

If you'er a wise beginner that has never tried kigurumi and have no access to a group then I would suggest a beginner level mask..
      These are mostly half or three quarter designs, with no back...
      They are for the most part semi customs, this means they are clones of the original. You can get full customs iwith this feature but then again the cost is greater for the kig...

Hair is another thing to be very cognizant of..
      Mid to long length haired kigs are very difficult to maintain. If you've never delft with synthetic hair don't get long hair. Be honest with yourself here.... I can be honest with you, my first kig has 100cm length hair, Dita Sama.. She is still a nightmare to take care of.. Not because I don't know how to maintain synthetic hair now.. It because of my lack of knowledge and personal hands on experience when I first acquired her... To give the maker credit, she did warn me... But.. I wasn't honest with myself, telling myself I could maintain long hair, hell yes I've had long hair for years..
      Synthetic fibers get stressed very easily, they fray, kink and tangle.. You can both under and over maintain hair.. It is all about experience.....
      I suggest a maximum of 60cm length for your first...
      Another thing to consider with the hair in mind is a simple hair style.. Stay away from ponytails, pigtails, buns, braids or any other type of hair modification other than simple start hair with simple bangs.. More complicated styles are hard to maintain and keep that "first" picture quality...
      If you can, stay away from accessories especially in regards to hair.. You may not have the experience with these things... Be honest with yourself....

Zentais, bodysuits, morphsuits, skin tights, ゼンタイ or whatever you want to call them are as important as the kigurumi itself since these have an integral part of the whole//
      Loose, baggy, bumpy, wrinkled garments take away from the look, feel and experience of kigurumi...
      There are many makers of inexpensive suits. Trouble with these are they aren't made to last very long, so... You purchase cheap you get a short cycle lifetime of the garment... These garments take most of the abuse during performing... If you want inexpensive then do spend at least $80 on the garment. Try not to get a custom made suit from these inexpensive manufacturers as they do tend not take what you sent them for measurements into account when fabricate them... Too many times I have heard stories of inexpensive custom suit fitting worst than standard size suit... And remember, these suits do not last very long. You may experience a zipper failing or the fabric tearing or bagging after a short period of time... Color is yet another problem with these suits as they are mass produced and not intended for our type of costuming... You will find you can get fairly close to a color to the kigurumi itself but it will never match as closely as a suit specific to kigurumi...

Costumes or Cosplays are another investment to consider... Here again we have the same dilemma as the bodysuits... You can shell out thousands of dollars on costumes, I know I have! So, when choosing a character you want to do for you first kigurumi keep in mind how available the costumes are... Do you really want to spend $600 on the "official" Japanese cosplay of a certain character knowing the garment may not fit you for any number of reasons, be honest with yourself here... You may not know just how to measure yourself yet for sizing purposes.. Remember too that you can get custom made garments, this too has it's own set of problems.. Cost, fit, cost... My suggestion is a simple popular costume for your first... School Girl, Maid or Lolita can be acquired with a low investment... Remember most people have never worn cloths like these, there as in most activities a learning curve here..

Accessories are another important part of the kigurumi experience. Thigh high stockings, pantsu, petticoats, pins, ankle ruffles, bows, glasses and so on... It's the details.. For starters just get some thigh highs, they are inexpensive and you can get a few pair to mix up your color pallet...

Shoes are extremely important and most people forget them... Get comfy shoes!! Take a look at most anime characters... Are they wearing six inch platforms??? Really??? Most likely they are wearing loafers.. Get them to fit right, if you don't know your size in the different sizing charts go to a shoe store and find out. You don't have to try on anything, just ask a sales person... If that's to weird then measure your foot front to back and convert.. Always try to order a half size larger.. Shoe inserts are an invention from GOD.. Use them, the will increase your staying power.. Bad feet equals short performances..

Undergarments too are very important to the whole experience. Remember
      the learning curve? Here too is another... Unless you are GG which 99% of non professional kigurumi are, you have no breasts, hips and your waist... Well??? Cut down on the cookies and late night pints of Ben & Jerry's... hehehe Let's start with the upper half... Here, I find a multitude of different opinions on what, how, how big, how small you should consider... Go big or go home??? That's not for everyone, I suggest taking a look at what you have for a body first and then decide what size you need to be... When I first started out in a different fandom I went for a smaller size, it worked for me to have "C" size cups... I was comfortable... That's what is important... What makes you comfortable... Be Honest with yourself...
      Next, your waist... Not all of us have that perfect figure... With form fitting costumes you may experience a lack of curves here.. I know I did... But too you need to be comfortable with yourself here... And cinching down six inches in waist size to achieve the perfect hour glass figure isn't always the smartest thing to do... You can really put yourself in a world of hurt in the short and long term here... Being comfortable is the most important aspect here... If you aren't your performance will show you aren't, as well as your staying power... Corsets are to "go to" device for acquiring the waist of choice here. Both GG's and male performers use these items as an integral part of the cosplay.... I never kig without one so I do suggest using them.. Remember to follow the guidelines put forth by the manufactures. Never buy one that is too small... It won't fit and if it does it won't feel or look right... I suggest purchasing a "waist" training "under" bust model for your first one if this is the way you choose to go... Waist trainers have double the support as normal waist reducing models. They are more comfortable to wear...
      Cinchers are another way to reduce the middle bulge thou not as good, they do help...
      Hips, here too unless you are GG you will need them. There are many manufactures of these produces, they vary in materials from silicon to foam. All work to some extend well... I use foam which I hold in with body shapers to get the proper curves and to hide the lines of the foam and any other undergarment that may have seams or bumps.. Thou not a perfect solution they do their job...
      The other part you need to hide?? "I don't know what you're talking about" ^___^ Again, be honest here, unless you are GG, HS or TGSRSPO you will need to address this... There are many ways to do so but the easiest way is not to wear costumes that reveal that portion of you anatomy...

Props are too important but for a beginner try not to use them. You'll have enough on your plate just trying to walk in a straight line and not drop kicking a four year old you don't see... hehe Holding a prop is a distraction you don't need at first....

So Melody, to recap this...

Mask; Go for starter if never having used one...
      Zentai; spend at least $80 on an "off the rack" suit....
      Costumes and Cosplays; use the K.I.S.S. method... Keep It Simple Silly ^__^
      Accessories; Thigh Highs
      Shoes; Comfort Comfort Comfort Comfort!!!!
      Undergarments; Learning curves!!
      Props; NOT

Remember you above all are the most important member of kig-o.com, in that, you are a beginner.. Without you we will not survive long... And with being a beginner you too will become an experienced kigurumi... I have only one request of you.. And that is to pass on your experience, strength and hope to those who follow in your footsteps!

cici
      Oh my o.o;

That is certainly a lot to take in. So much to learn about. Its almost intimidating.

I also better start saving up >.> I'm terrible with money lol.

The only thing I know I will probably have a decent handle on to start with is costumes and such, seeing as I'm already a novice lolita and I've been working on that wardrobe XD. But other than that, I guess I'll definitely have to look more into the whole body shaping thing, which I do have some minor experience with when wearing lolita, but It does seem like theres a lot more to it than I had previously thought.

One of these days I really would like to actually see Kigurumi in person to gain a better understanding of it, but I often don't travel super far to go to conventions.