How do I tell my family that I'm a kig?

How do I tell my family that I'm a kig?

New

I've moved back in with my family after a semester away and they don't know I'm a kigurumi performer. I want to tell them but I'm not sure how to approach it and I'm frankly worried that they may associate it with he furry community which they don't like very much.(No offence to anyone that may be reading this. Love you work.) The sooner I tell them the better so I can avoid an awkward situation where they see me suit up or find me wearing it around the house. :/

New

Buff55 wrote:

I've moved back in with my family after a semester away and they don't know I'm a kigurumi performer. I want to tell them but I'm not sure how to approach it and I'm frankly worried that they may associate it with he furry community which they don't like very much.(No offence to anyone that may be reading this. Love you work.) The sooner I tell them the better so I can avoid an awkward situation where they see me suit up or find me wearing it around the house. :/

In my experience, the more serious or grave your demeanor when giving new information to people, the more seriously the information will be received and considered. Whenever I've needed to tell people close to me that I have unusual likes or hobbies, I generally try to do it as nonchalantly as possible.

If you go up to your parents with a look of fear and shame and say, "mom, dad... I have something to tell you about myself. You're going to want to sit down for this. I.. I......I'm a kigurumi performer". Then you're setting the mood to something more negative and they could react in the way you're afraid of. However, if you approach this conversation with a smile and little concern and -own- it... not just tell them you do it, but let them know it's fun and you enjoy it. After all, it is just a fun hobby that doesn't hurt anyone. Remember, you're not telling them that you're a criminal, you're letting them know that they will see a side of you that does fun cosplay from time to time. Smile about it, own your feelings and they might laugh at you for a bit... that's ok, laugh with them. Eventually, they will get over it and it will be accepted as normal.

You could try showing them pictures and videos of kigus at conventions having fun and posing with people, making kids smile, etc. and tell them that you want to do that too. If they laugh at you like they think you're not serious, just tell them it's ok if they don't believe you that you're going to have fun anyway.

I hope this helps. As you get older (I'm 38) you gain more confidence in yourself and any quirks that make you a unique person. You will appreciate and celebrate these differences as well as surround yourself with friends that appreciate and celebrate with you.

New

Agreed with AutumnDawn! Be casual about it. I've told most people in my life that I'm working on becoming a kig, and it's only weirded out a couple of my friends. Most people have been surprisingly supportive of it. I get there's a stigma behind it, but like most fears you have to ease people's worries.

No one knows your parents better than you, so keep that in mind when tailoring what you say and how you say it, but confidence is everything!

New

Here's what I would say (though I think I should have simply used the straightforward word cosplay as really it is appropriate to forms).

BritKig wrote:

At the end of the day, kigurumi is a pastime.

If someone criticises, you can just reply with: "Would you like it if I made a fuss about what you do with your spare time?" :thumbdown:

In hindsight, if someone can't take criticism of what they enjoy doing, they have no right to do so to others.