A revolutionary idea for Kig masks

A revolutionary idea for Kig masks

So, an idea just popped into my head. Now this idea is kinda hard to put on paper, but what if some way somebody could make a type of mask that was like electronic, and was like pixelated and ran on a computer, and the mask was a monitor in the shape of the mask, and from an app or something on your phone you could control the eye color, eye shape, facial expression, etc. and you wouldn't need another mask ever again, because it could be programmed to look EXACTLY like the character, but it is still in the shape of a traditional kig mask, except it could just be programmed. Anyone think this would be a good idea?
      This kind of thing already exists as heads for robots (example) but it's not possible to be used for masks due to the hardware taking up a lot of space besides its heavy weight, the complete lack of a vision, the glow of the screen making the face look off compared to the rest of the body, as well as the high cost (the Cutieroid heads start at 800k USD).
      well what if it ran on say, a Raspberry Pi, the Pi's run like a normal computer, except they are smaller, like it's length is 2.5 inches, width is 3.5 inches and height is 1 inch. so the hardware wouldn't take up much space if you used a raspberry pi, and like i said if it can be controlled by an app then the brightness could be dimmed down, making it not seem off, Although it may be hard to find a big enough monitor to use.

Post was edited 1 time, last by “NinaKig” ().

Keep dreaming @NinaKig
      They'll always be someone that'll tell you it's impossible.
      I think you should go for it! Yes it might be rough at first but there's no reason what not.
      I have an associate in Japan that's working on something you might be interested in.

twitter.com/A_says_
      Not really something you can wear but it is pretty cool watch the progress.
      I can't remember which specific one, but I remember Disney made an Elsa animatronic for one of their rides that did pretty much this idea I think. I want to say it was this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8OHP9OriMA (Around 3:30 in) But I am not 100% sure if this is what I was thinking of. I don't think the tech is 100% there to be believable yet at a decent cost, as they used it from a distance in low lighting. I get this nagging feeling I am linking the wrong version though.

cici thanks for linking that, I am putting those tweets through google translate.... What a time to be alive.

Post was edited 1 time, last by “Ribbon-Kitten” ().

I must disagree with kaori1531 about Raspberry Pi.

At first, I think you confused Raspberry Pi with Arduino.
      Arduino have problems with LCD if you demand a lot of operations from it (it is the same as if you try to play modern game on CPU instead of GPU - just not build for it). If someone wants to use microcontroller (instead of Raspberry Pi = "standard" computer), I would recommend ESP32 or (better) Teensy.

Raspberry Pi even has dedicated GPU chip (if I remember correctly) and is made to work like standard CPU+GPU computers. That means you can easily run GPU-accelerated games on very good FPS.
      Sadly, you probably won't use GPU for the render (as you need no 3D effects), its CPU is 4x 1.4GHz (3 B+) or 4x 1.5GHz (4 B+). I myself would create simple 2D textures and used 3D rendering (GPU-accelerated) to select right textures and mix/deform them into right shape and place.
      And if you get into problems, you can just stream the video from other device(s).

You can think about Raspberry Pi as Desktop equivalent to modern phones (there are currently attempts to port Vulkan to it).

The harder part (at least for me) would be to select right screen.
      You need a screen which can be bend (for best result), can easily change backlight (USB or GPIO on Raspberry Pi) and does no image processing (to save power and be able to run it from batteries for multiple hours).

Abit wrote:

I must disagree with kaori1531 about Raspberry Pi.

At first, I think you confused Raspberry Pi with Arduino.
      Arduino have problems with LCD if you demand a lot of operations from it (it is the same as if you try to play modern game on CPU instead of GPU - just not build for it). If someone wants to use microcontroller (instead of Raspberry Pi = "standard" computer), I would recommend ESP32 or (better) Teensy.

Raspberry Pi even has dedicated GPU chip (if I remember correctly) and is made to work like standard CPU+GPU computers. That means you can easily run GPU-accelerated games on very good FPS.
      Sadly, you probably won't use GPU for the render (as you need no 3D effects), its CPU is 4x 1.4GHz (3 B+) or 4x 1.5GHz (4 B+). I myself would create simple 2D textures and used 3D rendering (GPU-accelerated) to select right textures and mix/deform them into right shape and place.
      And if you get into problems, you can just stream the video from other device(s).

You can think about Raspberry Pi as Desktop equivalent to modern phones (there are currently attempts to port Vulkan to it).

The harder part (at least for me) would be to select right screen.
      You need a screen which can be bend (for best result), can easily change backlight (USB or GPIO on Raspberry Pi) and does no image processing (to save power and be able to run it from batteries for multiple hours).

I wouldn't think that the ESP32 would be suitable because of it's low CPU speed and RAM count. I have two of the weaker version, the ESP8266, and those are even more prohibitive.

The RPi Zero is certainly powerful enough as I have a friend who entered the Twitch Cosplay Contest as Wedding Princess Peach (Mario Odyssey) a few years back, and got two panels working off the one board for the Tiara eyes. But for ease of use, I'd say use a full-size Pi for development and a Pi Zero for the final assembly (as you can easily move one uSD card between them), that should cut out unused components and (somewhat) extend runtime. I'm rather sceptical about the current progress of GPU acceleration as the matter has gone on for many years and I cannot get any clarity on that.
      Facebook Flickr Twitch Twitter
      Administrator of supporting service The Animegao Circle on Discord.

NinaKig wrote:

Yeah, I'm already planning on how I'm gonna build it,except unlike with the robot tweet, which is pretty cool cici, the entire face is a screen and you can program the mouth movements and the eyebrows too, not just the eyes.

We might be at this level of character face resolution, while quite primitive, still has some creative potential while supporting a back screen for like..... phone camera vision....'>........

Keep this in mind, in Hell the manager's name is Karen....'>......